Is It Okay That the Steri Strips Aren't Fully Covering my Ba Incisions? (photo)

I noticed today (day 6 post op) that I have a burning sensation in both of my crease incisions of my BA. I took a hand mirror and peaked at them and saw that the steri-strips weren't fully covering the incisions. It worries me a little so I put a call in to the ps office but haven't heard back yet. Am I over-reacting?

Steri-strips are not necessary

+2

The burning feeling in the incision probably has little to do with the appearance that the Steri-strips are not covering the incision.  Your photo does not suggest that an infection is present or is brewing.  Many of us use Steri-strips or skin glue over buried, dissolvable sutures, but they are not necessary for the incisions to heal normally.  I would suggest you make another effort to contact the surgeons office to get checked out and for reassurance, but I wouldn't worry too much in the mean time.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Steri Strips and Breast Incisions

+2

The steri strips are reinforcement for the incision.  Most likely, you are sutured under the skin.  Call your surgeon again.  Explain to him that you did not get a call back.  Also, email him or his office to request an appointment. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Is It Okay That the Steri Strips Aren't Fully Covering my Ba Incisions?

+2

Well they are not doing anything in the current position. The good news is that although many of us use steristrips, they are really like belt and suspenders. The sutures do the job well enough. 

We actually skin test most patients for allergy to the adhesive, and if positive, omit the steris, this on about 10% of patients, without any bad effects. 

+1

The burning sensation is not due to the uncovered wound. I do not think a small uncovered suture line is insecure as it will have 2 layers of suturing. I use steristrips as a dressing and not for wound closure. Discuss this with your PS at your appointment

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes, over reacting to ask over internet a personalized treatment issue. RE CALL YOUR PS office until you hear from them. In my internet non examined opinion this is a non issue.