What's Up with the Square Shape I See from Lifts Without Implants? San Francisco Bay Area?

Contemplating a lift without implants but so many photos I see are of breasts that end up with a square-ish shape to the bottom. They often look worse! One Dr told me that an implant will usually make a nicer shape but I definitely don't want something foreign in my body. Is it common to get a round, normal appearance from just a lift?

Breast lift with or without implants?

+1

Implants will definitely give you a better shape than a breast lift alone.   That being said, if you are adamant that you don't want implants, you could have liposuction performed somewhere else on your body and have that fat transferred to the breast to improve shape.

Round Appearance after Breast Lift Without Breast Implants

+1

The appearance of a breast lift without implants should be round and tight.  This is just a matter of getting the shape right by creating a tight skin envelope.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lift

+1

Some of the post operative shape of the breast has to do with the technique. The inferior pedicles have less of a round shape than the superior pedicle lifts with implants.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breast shape

+1

Breast lift and reductions can have a square shape to them.  But if all the surgeon's cases look like that and you don't like the results look elsewhere.  Do not go to a surgeon whose photos you don't like. Remember, he's showing  his best cases. ( or hers )

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Do I really need breast implants with a lift?

+1

The simple answer is that very few women achieve an optimal breast shape following a lift alone.  Unless a woman has very dense glandular breasts (which tend to provide more structure than a more fibro-fatty breast), her final result after a breast lift will typically be that of very little upper pole projection.  As for a squared appearance, that should not occur unless the tissue was pulled too tightly and not re-draped appropriately.  

I generally prefer placing a small submuscular implant with most breast lifts because it simply creates a more natural shape to the breast.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Square Breasts?

+1

Square breasts I think tend to happen when the skin envelope is made too tight. In my opinion, the key to avoid it is by conservatively resecting skin. 

Minimal scar breast lifts can yield unusual shapes.

+1

In the enthusiasm to minimize scars after mastopexy, techniques have evolved that decrease incision length but often times lead to odd shapes. Bottoming out or boxy breasts result often times when the vertical incision between the areola in the crease is not used. Patients should be aware of the benefits in the shortcomings of any surgical procedure.

Avoid using vertical incisions to eliminate square shape

+1

Several years ago, I began making improvements on the established techniques to lift and reshape the female breast. Like you, I was dissatisfied with the results these techniques gave us. The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift is a revolutionary way to reshape the female breast without the need of a vertical scar or an implant. Many plastic surgeons are still attempting to ''take up the slack'' with an implant only to fail miserably. As you know, implants only succeed in making the problem worse in the long run. Placing a vertical scar at the point of maximum tension doesn't make sense either (this only weakens the structural strength of the lift). Another improvement, is that The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift technique does not rely on the skin envelope to change and maintain the shape of the breast. There is no foreign material other than sutures to achieve this. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue to increase upper pole fullness, reposition your breast higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase cleavage.  This technique creates a round breast that is anatomically correct without an implant.  I recommend this new technique, which avoids the vertical scars and square shape of the lollipop o boat anchor techniques.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift With or Without Implants

+1

Dear Ottobot,

A breast lift with or without implants is an excellent way to lift and reshape your breasts.

There are a variety of options for lifting the breasts, including using implants alone; performing a breast lift (periareolar vs. vertical vs. anchor lift) alone; performing a breast lift with implants.

Choosing the right option for you depends on your breast size, breast shape, skin quality, and desired outcome.

For patients who have noticeable sagging and want to restore upper pole fullness (ie. cleavage), implants are often suggested.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Square Shape from Breast Lift

+1

You can and should be able to attain a round, normal shape from a lift without an implant. There are many different techniques for preforming a breast lift. In addition every breast is different. The different techniques can be used to attain a variety of differences in shape and appearance in different types of breast.

The best advise is to seek consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is familiar with different ways of lifting the breast and can advise you on the correct procedure for your breasts to attain the shape and results that you desire.

Eugene J. Sidoti, Jr., MD
Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon