What Are the Small Bumps Directly After Botox Injections Called?

Been ripped off by more saline then needed.One recently had her back turned acting sneaky,not impressed. Why don't I see the lumps after she injects?I know they love to save for theirselves.Commom for them to not only save $ but I'm @ the receiving end of getting not what paid for. 1 unit = 1 cc. A place does it in front of me. 1 place brings the pre-filled syringe in. What if I don't see lumps after & I don't feel the injects? What's going on? Thank you.

Botox Dilution

+3

I am unclear what you are asking.  If you are asking about Botox dilution techniques, your math is off when you say 1 unit = 1 cc.  With the most common dilution techniques, there are 4 Units or 5 Units per 0.1 cc.  If there are 5 Units per 0.1 cc then a 1 cc syringe will hold 50 units.  Most people inject either 0.05 cc (2.5 Units)  or 0.1 cc (5 Units) with each injection point.  The 0.05 or 0.1 cc injection makes a small area of swelling that resolves after about half an hour.  I agree with you that the Botox should be mixed right in front of you.  In my practice, we open up a new vial of Botox and mix it right in front of each patient.  This way you know you are getting exactly what you are paying for.  

Good Luck.

Bumps after Botox injections

+3

The bumps you see in the skin after Botox injection represent the fluid that Botox is dissolved in and then injected under the skin.  The size of the bump however does not reflect the number of units that are injected because some physicians will prepare a more concentrated dilution whereas some more dilute.  The more dilute the concentration the larger volume required to inject the same number of units.  So depending upon how the physician prepared the Botox they maybe injecting more or less volume while still injecting the same number of units.  Some prefer a higher concentrate and others lower.  The larger the volume the more chance of distal spread of effect which can sometimes be an advantage and sometimes a disadvantage.  Bottom line however is if you are not comfortable with your physician then go somewhere else.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Botox concentration

+2

I prefer to use a relatively concentrated Botox solution for more precise injection and less spread into surrounding areas.  I add 2 ml of saline to the 100 unit bottle , for a final concentration of 5 units per 0.1ml.  Each injection point will usually receive 2-5 units, so this will leave a small "bump" under the skin which goes away in 10-15 minutes.

It is very unfortunate that you feel you may have been ripped off, and it is very unfortunate that there are many people injecting Botox who really shouldn't be.  The only way to minimize you risk is to go to someone you trust - even if it may cost a little bit more.  Find an experienced board-certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist in your area.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Botox

+2

Iusualy dilut my 100 unit vial Botox in about 2-2.5 cc's of saline.  This keeps it pretty concentrated.  Soia 1 cc syringe will have about 40-50 units or each 0.1 cc will have 4-5 units.  Each injection I use about 2-2.5 units.  They usually make a tiny bump that dissipates after  a few minutes.

Botox Cosmetic treatments

+2

Botox Cosmetic is the most common cosmetic procedure performed in the United States.  Different injectors use different dilutions for different reasons.  I personally prefer a more concentrated mixture to prevent migration of the product, and to decrease the amount of swelling that can immediately follow injections.  I dilute a 100 unit bottle with 2.5cc of saline.  This gives me a mixture of 40 units of Botox Cosmetic per cc.  To be certain that one is not being ripped off with an over diluted mixture, i recommend patients only see board certified plastic surgeons or dermatologists for their treatments.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Botox

+2
The dilution rate will influence how much is injected. My reaction is that if you do not trust your injector and are convinced that you are being cheated, go somewhere else----and preferably to a practice in which the plastic surgeon or dermatologist does the injecting and NOT to a medispa. From your implication that they like to save it for themselves, it sounds like you weren't injected by a physician.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Bumps after Botox

+2

The little bumps after you inject Botox are a combination of the Botox itself and the Sodium Chloride which is used to dilute it. The bumps settle down after a few minutes as the Botox is absorbed. Botox comes in a powder form and Sodium Chloride is injected into the vial to make it into a liquid. Some places may put more Sodium Chloride into a vial to dilute it more and get more injections out of each vial. This is why some Botox is "weaker" than others - it's not concentrated at full strength. You need to always go to places you are comfortable with and in my opinion, receive Botox only from a physician. You should look on the Allergan Botox website to see local physicians by you that Allergan lists on their site.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox injections for wrinkles

+1

Botox is diluted, it has to be. Botox comes in a powder and must be mixed with saline.  After the doctor determines how many units of Botox you need, the equivalent number of ccs of mixture is drawn up.  One unit is 0.01cc if one cc is mixed with 100 units of Botox. The more concentrated solutions of Botox leave less of a lump as less volume is needed to deliver the number of units of Botox needed.

Ronald Shelton, MD