Does the Skin Get Worse Before Getting Better After a Glycolic/Lactic Peel?

My husband and I just had a Glycolic 25%/Lactic 35% peel done and his very light fine lines under his eyes are now deep wrinkles! Is it possible that the skin will get worse before getting better? Is this possible? Will this be permanent? Thank you for all of your help in advance.

Worse after peels

+4

In the days after a peel, the skin will get tight, shiny and can appear even more wrinkled than when you started. If that is what you mean by "worse", then the answer is yes. If you have other concerns, you should immediately see the physician who did your treatment.

Miami Dermatologist

How Skin Looks Immediately After Peel

+3

Typically one's skin looks worse after having had a chemical peel (whether superficial or medium) before beginning to look better. In the first few days after the peel the skin can look tight and shiny as it is getting ready to shed itself. It then starts to look red/pink, flaky, crusty and/or like sheets of skin are peeling off.  Brown spots can also initially look darker before they start to look lighter. So to answer your question, yes, it is very possible and actually likely that the skin will look worse before getting better. If your skin does not start to look better after a week, I suggest you follow up with your physician. Make sure to use gentle products while the skin is healing. Do not pick at peeling or flaking skin and stay out of the sun. 

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/treatments.php?id=36

Skin After Peel

+1

It is possible for the skin to appear worse before it gets better.  If the skin is getting tight and the lines are appearing deeper, you are probably about to start having some peeling and flaking.  This is normal and will not be permanent.