What is the Best Skin Resurfacing Procedure Available in 2012? Which One Would You Would Recommend Me?

I am a male, 40 years old, always ate fruits and vegetables, water and exercise for years. I tried my best to stay healthy and protected my skin with sunblock.┬ĘThe skin is ok but I would like to improve it. Any other advice to improve my skin or jaw line is welcome.

Best Resurfacing Procedure for a healthy 40 year old.

+2

My recommended treatment plan would depend upon a examination but I will do my best to respond.  First I would not recommend a laser resurgacing procedure at you age.  The reasons are:  1. SLOW RECOVERY 2. A difficult post-laser treatment plan.. I would therefore recommend a plan that is less aggressive and will give you about a 25% to 40% improvement:

• Profractional Laser Twice per year
  • Microlaser Peel once per year
  • Peleve' treatment: 3 times per year.
  • Topical Tripeptide Cell Activator (with Stem Cell) Topical

This will give a good maintenance approach and avoid the overly envasive Full Laser Resurfacing. 

Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Skin resurfacing with products, peels, laser or plasma resurfacing

+1

There is a large spectrum of treatments available to restore or rejuvenate one's skin. The type of treatment depends on the patient's threshold for down time, both socially and school or work-related, their physical examination of the skin and determination of the components of sun-damage and the aging process.  There are: epidermal discoloration, epidermal textural changes, dermal weakening, loss of collagen and elastin, increased capillaries, fine and deep folds, acne scars, etc. that may or may not be part of your condition. Once that is ascertained, the physician can determine what is the best treatment for you. Mild or medium chemical peels, antioxidant serums or creams, Retin - A, Fraxel laser (Clear and Brilliant, Restore, Dual or Repair / CO2 (carbon dioxide laser), plasma resurfacing with Portrait by Energist, tightening of sagging skin with Ultherapy ultrasound, or Pelleve / Thermage radiofrequency.

Please see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Skin rejuvenation options

+1

Without first posting photos or seeing you in person, it is very difficult to determine what the best treatments would be, for your skin type and issues you are describing. You should considering posting photo's for a better assessment.

Sam Naficy, MD

Best laser skin resurfacing treatment - fractional co2

+1

The fractional CO2 laser is an amazing modality for most lighter skin types and can dramatically improve skin quality and resiliency.  Not all patients are candidates, depending on their skin.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Best Skin Resurfacing Procedure

+1

Thank you for your question. I am a big fan of fractional CO2 resurfacing as the results are consistent, the satisfaction is very high with our patients, and we can reproduce results easily.  This will tighten up the whole face.  Just be prepared to do the procedure 2-3 times over 18 months to fully realize the potential. In addition, at home skin regimen including a vitamin A cream would be beneficial (retinol, tretinoint, etc. See you Board Certified Dermatologist to get a skin evaluation. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Skin Resufacing Options: Laser vs Peels

+1

Of course an actual examination is required to be able to recommend the best treatment options for you.

If it is a laser  that is choosen or what you are looking for than the Fractionated Laser - is the best choice for many skin types.
After researching and trying several lasers including most of the ones you mentioned for fractionated laser treatments we found that the Fraxel Re:Pair was the best. However of interest when reviewing long term results we saw little of no difference with the long term results of the Obagi Blue Peel intemediat depth which had a faster recovery time and is less expensive for our patients.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Best Skin Resurfacing Procedure in 2012 for 40 year old male

+1

Dear Patient,

The best skin resurfacing procedure for you depends on your life-style and how fast you want to see the results. Resurfacing procedures help to refresh the skin: smooth out rough texture, even skin tone, iron out fine wrinkles, and tighten the skin. Resurfacing lasers come in two varieties: 1) ablative and 2) non-ablative. Ablative lasers (e.g., fractional CO2) are more aggressive, have longer recovery time (7-10 days), deliver faster results with few treatments (1-3). Non-ablative (e.g., fraxel, mosaic) are less aggressive, have short recovery time (3 days), but take longer to deliver results over multiple treatments (5-7). Once you consult your laser surgeon, you can make the best decision about your optimal therapy. Good luck.

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist

Skin improvement and jaw line improvement - options for a male patient

+1

For skin correction I have standard advice for my patients- start initially at with good skin care regimen.  For men in my office we start with Rodan & Fields in the AntiAge label regimen.  Consider a laser peel to resuface and tighten the skin.  Laser peels can be fractionated (tiny dots) or full field laser resurfaces.  Standard advice there is the deeper the peel, the longer the recovery but the better the result.  Also for skin appearance in terms of brown and red pigments you may need a photofacial treatment to improve the color tones in your skin.  A good chemical peel can improve both skin tightness and color pigments. 

Now on to jaw line.  I assume your concerns center around the jowl area.  There are a few options for jowl correction in my office.  Obviously some correction will occur with laser or chemical peeling.  However to get correction of jowls, consider laser liposuction of the jowl area.  This truly removes the pocket of fat, and to some degree, tightens the jawline area.  Finally we offer Ulthera to the skin over the jaw line correction to tight skin over the area.  Ulthera is micropulsed ultrasound energy to allow the tissues under the skin to tighten. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD