Does the Skin Around the Fat Grafting Get Tightened for Reconstructive Breast Procedures?

I have had a bilateral mastectomy, currently have expanders in place and am undergoing radiation. My PS said I would likely have to have fat grafting at the time of implant exchange. My question is this, will the surgeon repair the skin in the area of fat extraction? I won't mind having a little fat removed from my tummy, but after having twins, don't want any more extra skin.

Skin from fat graft harvest may or may not snap back.

+1

If your skin has good elasticity then it will snap back. If it doesn't, it won't. Ask your surgeon who examined you what he/she thinks.

Fat transfer

+1

Fat transfer donor sites are harvested with liposuction like cannulas.  The donor site can be left alone or if it is the abodmen and you want a tummy tuck that might be an option.

You do not need repair at the donor site

+1

Fat will be harvested with liposuction and the donor site does not need any special treatment. You should wait at least 3-6 months post radiation before have your expanders removed and replaced with implants.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon