What Becomes of the Skin After it is Removed From a TT? (photo)

Hello helpful snippers! I am at the beginning stages of my research about tummy tucks and I have a question for which I cannot find an answer. What becomes of the skin that is removed? I love my body, I just have too much of it-- but I would like to know if I am entitled to my body parts after the surgery. I hate to think of any part of my body as 'medical waste.' Thanks!

What happens to the Skin that is Removed with Tummy Tuck

+1

I have to say, this is an original question!  Good for you. Nobody has asked me this before.  Yes it is discarded as "medical waste".  I do not see why you couldn't have it if you wanted it.

Skin

+1

Skin that is removed during a tummy tuck is discarded as medical waste. You do not want to be taking this skin home

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Skin Removed During Tummy Tuck

+1

There are very strict rules about what happens to any body part or even blood or serum after it is removed from the body. These rules are present to prevent accidental infection of others. Since the skin and fat removed during abdominoplasty is so large, there is no way it can be sterilized, preserved and made safe for you to have in your possession. You are, therefore, not entitled to it post operatively. Instead of thinking about it, concentrate on how good the rest of your body will look after surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

What Becomes of the Skin After it is Removed From a TT?

+1

The skin that is removed from your abdomen is useless and discarded along with other medical waste items from surgery.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

What Becomes of the Skin After it is Removed From a TT

+1

It is discarded and processed as medical waste. 

I must say that your request sounds unusual, and no one has asked me that in over 30 years as a surgeon. Regulations will vary by state, so you would have to check with your own surgeon to find out if that is permissible.