Does the Size of the Implant Effect the Amount of Pain After a Breast Lift with Augmentation?

Pain from breast lift/augmentation

+2

Pain from a breast lift performed in conjunction with augmentation is directly proportional to how traumatized the muscle layer becomes.  If the implant is placed under the muscle there is a lot more pain.  Implants placed on top of the muscle are less painful, but if the surgeon is rough with the tissues or if the breast is unusually attached to the muscle then there is extra pain.  As long as the muscle is left alone the pain is much less.

Does the Size of the Implant Effect the Amount of Pain Aftr Breast Lift w/ Aug?Answer:

+1

Not really. In my experience I have not seen much of a correlation between pain and size...everyone is so different. I see patients after a 200cc implant acting as if they had a Heart/Lung transplant, while others with 500cc never use a pain pill...Makes no sense...Wish it did!!! But you probably will have more pain from the implant than the lift...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pain following an augmentation mastopexy.

+1

The pain experienced following an augmentation mastopexy is usually related to the elevation of the muscle. A larger implant can give more pain than a smaller implant when it comes to muscle stretching, but overall this is a fairly well tolerated procedure.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question.  If the implant is large and placed under the muscle, yes, it can contribute to more discomfort.  If you have concerns about this, you can discuss this with your plastic surgeon and give consideration to the use of a pain pump if possible.  Small differences in implant size shouldn't have a lot of difference in your level of discomfort. Each patient is different. Discuss your concerns directly with your plastic surgeon. I wish you well.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Implant Size And Pain

+1

Unless the implant is very large causing significant tightness, size should not matter. In my experience, most pain from sub-muscular implants is due to the cutting of the muscle fibers necessary to placing the implant under the muscle. The good news is that intra-operative use of local anesthesia and post-operative pain and muscle relaxant medication should keep you fairly comfortable.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Usually submuscular implantation hurts more than subglandular because of the muscle injury.  I suppose more stretching of the muscle may cause more pain although this is not documented in the literature.

Implant size and symptoms

+1

Drastic differences in sizes between two different implants can influence the amount of pain experienced but this is not a real world situation. The pain is more associated with stretching of the muscle - with more trauma to the tissue during surgery resulting in greater pain. Furthermore, placing implants behind the muscle versus in front of it will be associated with greater discomfort.

This symptomatology relates to the early postoperative period versus a longstanding situation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Implant size

+1

I have found that larger implants make women feel tighter, but I have not seen that be related to a change in the level of pain.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Postop Pain

+1

I find most patients are surprised that they are not more uncomfortable after surgery. I believe that most of the discomfort is due to making the pocket for the implant below the muscle.  Any operation that involves muscle tends to be more uncomfortable than a similar operation not involving muscle.

Larger implants may stretch the muscle and the skin more and cause more discomfort but I don't think it will add significantly to the usual post op discomfort unless the implants are quite large.

Careful surgery with limited bleeding causes less trauma, less inflammation and less pain.  That means faster recovery.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Size of Breast Implants and Post op Pain?

+1

There are many variables involved with how much discomfort patients have after breast surgery.  I find that, unless the patient has a relatively large implant placed,  the breast  implant size  does not necessarily play a major role.

Generally, sub muscular implant positioning and overall patient's  pain threshold are the most important variables.