What would be the best size for me? (photo)

Hi, I am 5'3 and 125lbs. I went for a consultation and the doctor recommend moderate profile 350cc. I showed him pictures I wanted to look like and he then recommended 400-425cc high profile. I am worried it is too big. I want to have a noticeable difference, but I don't want to look huge.

How to Select the Right Breast Implant Size

+4
The way to finds the ideal breast implant size for you is not to bring an after photo alone. The look may or may not be realistic for you. Instead, look at before and after photos of breast augmentation your surgeon has performed. Look for befores that look like you do now, and afters that look the way you would want to look. 

This will ensure that your plastic surgeon has a history of providing the result you are looking for, and will also be a good communication tool.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+3
It can be very confusing when three different surgeons give you three different opinions. Unfortunately, it's quite common because plastic surgery is just as much a form of art as it is a form of science.
particularly when placed under the muscle, but because we size with actual implants, to me it is the best teaching tool.
It is not uncommon in my own practice for patient to bring a friend or family member and a variety of different blouses and spend a good deal of time looking at the implants well before surgery.
So here's some basic thinking that may be of help As a general rule when my patients size their implants I like them to look at themselves with the actual implants in place in a testing bra. This is not a perfect teaching tool because implants can lose some projection to you:
When you look at implants on your frame don't just think about the size of the breast, but think about how it balances with the width of your shoulders as well as your hips. If an implant as to wide it will make you look top heavy, if an implant is too narrow it will look like a torpedo. In my own practice I try to focus on this relationship, and to me the width of the implant is almost more important than the volume itself.
Once you find the width of the implant that gives a nice overall balance with the hips then you can change the cup size by going high, moderate or low profile.
If you're agonizing between two sizes I generally recommend you go slightly larger, because it is very rare to hear patients say," I wish I had gone smaller".
Sometimes a patient who needs a breast lift is encouraged to go with a larger implant to to try and avoid the lift. I think that this is a mistake. I personally feel that it's better to get the size breast you want and let the lift happen if it's necessary.
Lastly, as a slender person it is always harder to have a more natural result. Patients with less breast tissue do not provide as much camouflage to help hide the implant. I always prefer a submuscular implant because it adds one more layer of tissue to help hide the implant from the outside world. In very slender patients I prefer silicone gel implants because they tend to look more natural as well. Even though you are slender, pick an implant that is wide enough to fill the chest appropriately. If you go too narrow, it can sometimes looked even less natural, smaller is not always more natural looking.
I hope these things that I've said are making sense, I hope I've been able to add some clarification in sizing for you. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Pic is big

+1
Tough spot and I see it all the time, round perky breasts is the fake look which means big implants. If you want to look like the pic which may or may not be possible you probably need big implants or a small implant and fat grafting

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

BBA

+1
There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.
Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.
I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.
By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Best Implants To Increase Breast Size

+1
Best Implants To Increase Breast Size

Please see my previous answers on this subject for more detailed information. You need to provide measurements and bra size for a better assessment. This model is very full breasted for a petite woman.

What would be the best size for me?

+1
My over the internet guess is the photo is a 450 cc, so you could have a 400 cc HP implant as an option. 

Be careful with high profile implants if you don't want to look to full in the upper portion of your breast

+1
In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

What would be the best size for me?

+1
That's good that we know from a photo what you want to look like but we don't know what you look like now. With your height and weight it sounds like those implants are a little big but it takes an exam to answer a question like that.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

The best breast implant size is the one that you and your plastic surgeon agree on

+1
Thank you for your question.  I agree with your initial surgeons recommendation and it is always best to heed your surgeons advice.  However the photograph you showed him shows very large breast implants that are likely in the 400-425 cc range.  If that is the look you want then you should follow your surgeons advice.  However implants in the 300-350 cc range look fine on most patients.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

What would be the best size for me?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Despite your good description of your body type and goals, online consultants will not be of specific enough help to you. Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural”  or “too huge” or “C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging technology may also be very helpful during this communication process.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.