Would the Single Procedure of Alarplasty Work Well for my Nose? Or Would I Need Other Procedures? (photo)

I have a really wide nose and really flared nostrils (especially when I smile). I was thinking (and hoping) that just getting alar base reduction would make a huge improvement. Based on my nose, would I need to have other things done to maintain facial harmony or am I a good candidate for this lone procedure? (Like Tip Reduction, Etc) Thanks!

Alarplasty alone may not be the solution

+2

Thank you for the question.  It is impossible to give you an opinion regarding establishing facial harmony without a complete set of standardized nasal / facial images that are obtained with every rhinoplasty consultation.  An alarplasty is a good adjuctive procedure, at the time of a rhinoplasty, if the ala are wide after the rest of the rhinoplasty has been performed.  Occasionally, in very limited situations, it can be done as an isolated procedure. 

I would suggest you contact a PS and meet for a consultation and assessment.  Have digital images taken and modified and see if the proposed changes creat the balance and harmony that compliment your face.  With the right surgeon and a well informed consultation - I'm sure you will be extremely pleased with your results.  

Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Can Nostril Narrowing Be Done Alone?

+2

A single view of your nose from this angle makes that question impossible to answer. Send a front, three-quarter and side view pictures of your nose/face (without smiling) and an answer can be given.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Alar base reduction

+2

It would be useful to have more photos with other views to give you a comprehensive answer.  In general, alar base reduction can be performed as an isolated, office based, procedure if widened alar base is the only problem that requires correction.  More commonly, it is performed in the course of rhinoplasty. You do appear to have a widened alar base, so you may benefit from alar base reduction. Whether you need anything else would depend- I suggest you get a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist to determine this. Good luck.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Alar base reduction and rhinoplasty

+2

You should have an in-office exam to determine the best plan.  Also, we would need more pictures.  What can be determined from the single front view is that you alar base is wide.  This can certainly be narrowed.  You appear to also have a drooping tip.  This will likely need a graft to support and elevate this tip.  You can email pictures to consult@facialinstitute.com

David Alessi, MD

Alar Narrowing as Isolated Procedure

+2

With only one picture of part of your nose it is difficult to give you a complete answer. You would improve your nose by narrowing the base of your nose but send a complete set of pictures so we can evaluate your entire nose and make recommendations for a natural result which is proportional to the rest of your facial features. You can go to my website for instructions re the necessary views.

Alarplasty

+1

A really wide nose will not be reduced with just an alarplasty.  The alarplasty procedure alone will only narrow the nostrils.  Narrowing the bridge and tip must be done with osteotomies and cartilage removal.  Addressing the tip cartilages through a tip plasty will also reduce excess cartilage.

Alarplasty or Nostril Reduction Surgery

+1

Alar reduction, decreasing the size of the nostrils, can be done as a single procedure, typically in the office. However, it is necessary to have a complete evaluation of the entire nose in order to make the best treatment recommendations. The nostril width may be affected by the position of the tip of the nose, the strength of the cartilages, as well as the strength of the nasal bridge. All of these structures should also be examined in order to decide if alarplasty is the right procedure.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction

+1

You  may very well be a candidate for an alar base reduction but I could not be sure without better photos and most importantly an exam in person.

Alarplasty For A Better Nose

+1

Dear Nilla,

Thank you for sharing your photograph and for your inquiry as well.

Nonetheless, based on the photograph attached it is hard to give you a solid opinion.

Preserving your natural looks and your facial features is essential; only with a physical examination by a surgeon of ample experience in the field could provide you with the right tools to make a well informed decision.

Best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS