What are the side effects of 4 small dosages of botox on upper lip around mouth for smoker lines?

Botox for upper lip lines

+1
Botox (or any of the neurotoxins ie Xeomin, Dysport) when used conservatively on the upper lip should not cause any significant side effects other than mild bruising/swelling. If used in excess difficulties in sucking thru a straw, whistling, kissing may occur. I always inject the minimal amount - if necessary I can always inject more but once the above side effects occur only time will make things better. 

Annapolis Plastic Surgeon

Botox for upper lip lines

+1

I really like Botox for upper lip lines. It works by keeping the muscle around the mouth from "puckering" - which is what causes the lines in the first place - and why they call them "smokers" lines (since that is what you are doing when you are smoking - which, as we all know, is a bad idea from both a health and a cosmetic perspective). In fact, you should avoid activies that cause your lips to pucker - like drinking through straws, blowing on hot foods, whistling etc.

As far as side effects, I tell my patients that botox in the upper lip may make your lip feel "clumsy". Meaning that you may notice it is a little difficult to drink (especially through straws - which you aren't supposed to do anyway). Most patients get used to the Botox and are not bothered by it. About 20% of my patients dislike it enough that they don't want to do it again. Of course you can get temporary bruising from the needle pokes. The dosage should be low (2-6 units for most people).

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Side effects are uncommon following Botox treatment to upper (and lower) lip lines

+1

The most common problems are typically mild and self-limited and include difficulty drinking through a straw or whistling. Botox treatment can, on occasion, make the lips feel different if excessive treatment is delivered. I really like this treatment and think that it can create significant improvement with minimal expense and a two minute office injection. Please seek a highly experienced injector.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Usually Very Little side effects

+1

There are usually very little side effects from a small injection around the lips, but on occasion it may be more difficult to purse the lips or suck on a straw. Other then the occasional bruising, that is about it.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Upper Lip Botox

+1

Typically, only about 4 units are needed on the upper lip area to help minimize the appearance of fine lines ("smokers lines").  More units can prevent movement and make it difficult to move the mouth, which is why most injection specialists do not use more than a small dosage of Botox for this area.  If the technique is done properly, very few side effects should result from treatment.

Benjamin Stong, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoker's Lines and Botox

+1

Whether you have one treatment or multiple treatments, there is no additional side effects in more than one treatment of a neurotoxin like Botox. It is possible that multiple treatments over time may create muscle atrophy and a longer result.

A small amount of a neurotoxin in the lower lip helps the pucker or smokers lines, the vertical lines extending from the white line of the lip towards the nose. Fillers, laser, and chemical peels may also help to reduce these lines.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Botox to soften upper lip smoker's lines

+1

Botox can effectively soften the wrinkles along your upper lip.  This application of Botox works best in patients that have a "gummy" smile, meaning a lot of gum show when smiling, because it can cause some dropping of the upper lip.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD