What Are the Possible Side Effects of an Eyebrow Transplant?

I am 35 and I overplucked my brows when I was younger and now there are gaps in them that have never grown in. I'm interested in a transplant but am wondering what the possible side effts are? Is there scarring? Is there a chance of the eyebrows I currently have being traumatized and falling out? Any other side effects?

Side Effects from Eyebrow Transplant

+1

Definitely trauma to the existing hair is a possibility.  The hair that is transplanted can grow and can require constant trimming.  Also, if hair on your head doesn't match eyebrows it can look very abnormal.   

Eyebrow Transplants and Side Effects

+1

Having performed over 400 of these eyebrow transplant procedures, I am confident in telling my patients that there is a very low risk from these procedures.  Patients need to understand that not all of the hairs regrow in some cases, however it is quite easy to further transplant more hairs if this should occur to achieve greater density.  Typically 15% of the hairs do not grow in the ideal direction in which they were originally transplanted, which means they may need to be plucked or trimmed.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow Transplant - Side Effects

+1

To address your concerns, there are rare few negative long-term side effects of eyebrow transplant. With the follicular unit extraction method, scarring is minimal and donor hair selection is optimal. It is possible for the pre-existing eyebrow hairs to fall out temporarily due to lack of blood supply during the procedure. But in the off-chance that this does happen, these hairs will grow back. One of the main side effects that everyone must deal with is the growth rate of implanted hair. Usually taken from the back of the head, donor hairs will continue to grow to their innate length, which requires occasional trimming. This can be avoided with the use of leg donor hair via body hair transplant.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Potential Side Effects of Eyebrow Transplant

+1

The complications that can arise from eyebrow transplantation are very few.  Bleeding, infection and scarring are rare.  With Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), there is minimal donor site pain or scarring and the grafts are excellent and ready for transplantation.  The aesthetic results are the main potential issue.  Single hair grafts are used to avoid thicker than normal brow hair and the angle of implantation is key.  Also, the rate of growth of the hair may be greater than normally seen in the eyebrow.  Color match can also be an issue

Paul M. Glat, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Possible side effects of eyebrow transplants

+1

The major problems with eyebrow transplants are related to hair color and texture matchs. Also the hair direction and cur of the hairs l are critical for a successful result. See someone experienced with eyebrow transplants. Perhaps consider permanent make up first. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon