What Can I Do About the Scars on and Around my Lips? (photo)

About 7 years ago I was in a bad car accident. Glass cut my face on and around my lips. Most of the cuts healed without much scarring but some are still very visible and bumpy/hard/tight. I have had laser scar removal on the scars surrounding my lips, which didn't help very much. Are there any other options for my lips?? because the dermatologist says that the laser will discolor my lips and is not a good idea. These scars are very bothersome to me and I would be very grateful for advice.

Faial scars, lip scars, active fx, deep fx, scaar fx, total fx, fraxel

+2

I am so sorry to hear of your problems. In short, modern scar correction techniques can help. My favorite methods involve combining techniques like lasers (ctive fx, deep fx, scaar fx, total fx, fraxel ),  prp, and fillers. Now a pearl - if you choose a great cosmetic doctor - he or she will help you. The best way to find one is to do some research. A great book to help is "Don't choose A Cosmetic Surgeon Without Me" found on amazon.com.

Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Lasers for scars around lips

+2

In my opinion I think lasers would be the best option to help blend these scars better. I think discoloration would be a non-issue for the long term but there may be some temporary discoloration immediately after treatment. I would consult with a dermatologist with advanced training in lasers (fellowship) as these types of scars are a little more complicated than the run of the mill stuff most folks laser.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractional co2 for lip scar revision in Los Angeles

+1

You have many types of scars on the lips and each one may require a customized laser protocol. I would encourage you to employ the fractional co2 DEKA laser to resurface the skin on the upper and lower lip areas as the first treatment. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS