What Are the Risks of Having an Ultrasoft Lip Augmentation?

What are the major differences between using a short term filler versus a permanent augmentation?

+1

Ultrasoft Lip Implants appear to be made out of Goretex which I quit using some 15 years ago because they had a tendency to move within the lip and get infected for no apparaent reason.  IMHO, Alloderm Lip Implants are far superior to all other lip implants for Lip Augmentation.  Alloderm produces soft natural fullnes and can be placed just below the lip mucosa.  

Lip augmentation and permanent implants

+1

Softform in the lip is a permanent implant.  Experience with permanent implants has shown some capsular formation and the potential for shifting of the implant and changes in the smile.

Lip Augmentation

+1

Short term fillers require you to have them performed every few months whereas a permanent augmentation does not.  Some of my patients do not want others to know they are having their lips done and come in every few weeks to maintain a consistent fullness without waiting for them to go down.  A permanent augmentation would prevent this.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Fillers vs permanent lip augmentation

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane have several advantages over permanent implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Also, as your face ages it changes over the years. Touch up treatments are constantly being modified to fit the changing face. Filler injections typically last for at least one year and frequently patients do not need additional injections for several years. Lips can also be injected relatively painlessly using a "dental block" and ice as necessary. Fillers also now come premixed with lidocaine which also helps to reduce the discomfort.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Short term vs. permanent lip augmentation ?

+1

Not all temporary nor all permanent products for lip augmentation are alike.  In general, temporary solutions have the advantages of safety, predictability, and no donor site.  More permanent products are so variable in their properties, it is impossible to generalize.  Aquamid is my favorite, Permalip very safe but slightly firm, silicone more natural, but can become lumpy, and impossible to remove if problematic.  Fat grafting may resorb, and dermis and ADM as well.

Steve Laverson, MD

Lip augmentation: fillers vs. permanent implants

+1

It is likely that you will get diverse opinions on this forum for this question.  I agree with the last doctor who answered in that I prefer a patient to have a temporary filler, usually HA like Restylane or Juvederm before considering a permanent solution.  And unlike some on this forum, I like lip implants (I prefer the Perma Facial Implant) as a means of achieving pleasing permanent augmentation.  I also like Silikon 1000 as an alternate method of achieving permanent lip augmentation.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip fillers are always good to test the results before going to the permanent implants.

+1

Once you decide on the size and look you like with your temporary filler, then switch to a permanent implant to give that great lip enhancement without having to get the painful shots every 3-6 months.  sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon