What are the risks / success rates of revision alar reduction?

I had an alar base reduction 30 years ago. Due to a misundertanding in specification, my nose is still too wide and has too much flare. I need a revision surgery to narrow the width a bit more but am afraid the scarring will be more visible. If this is risky, can a reduction cut be made above the old incision to remove excess material ?

Revision Nasal Alar Reduction

+2
The ideal approach would be to excise the old scars when narrowing the alar base. However I need to see pictures to determine if this is possible.

Revision Alar Base Surgery

+1
It is difficult to make any recommendations without having evaluated you.  Depending on your situation, scar revision can be made to slim the nose further and revise any visible scarring.  It would be best to have an in-person consultation to determine how best to achieve your goals; 3D computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Alar base reduction

+1
Alar base reduction revision can be performed in some patients. It is best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

+1
I revise alar base reductions for a multitude of reasons, but an exam is really helpful to determine what you may need.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Possible

+1

It really depends on the precise shape of your nostrils as to where the incision will be placed.  I recommend you see a surgeon with experience in revision rhinoplasty.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon