What Are the Risks of Steroid Injections in This Rhinoplasty Case? Should I Avoid Them and Just Wait to Re-do Surgery? (photo)

I had nosebleed 8 days after rhinoplasty, I went to ER they used merocele nasal packing (see pic) left for 5 days. My front has been damaged by this packing, and it is very swollen. The tip profile has become very round which was not, after surgery but before bleeding. I am now 6 months post-op with oily skin and my nose is very wide. I do not trust my surgeon. He suggests steroid injections.What are the risks? Is it better to just re-do surgery or should I worry about scar tissue formation?

+1

Very hard to answer over the internet. But complications do occur following ANY surgery. The result seen is acceptable but could be improved by revision surgery after a full year of healing. I would stir away from steroid injection. 

Steroid injections or revision rhinoplasty?

+1

Steroid injections are for thick skin above the tip. Anything more than that should be revised by a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. By the time you see a surgeon and get this scheduled it can be done.

Steroids versus revision surgery.

+1

In your particular situation, and with the limits of seeing only photos at 6 months, I think a revision surgery would likely be needed. While swelling and fibrous (scar) will improve with time and/or steroid injections; it is likely you will require re-structuring of your nasal tip since it is asymmetric and appears deviated. The deviation that is visible could be from pressure from packing and or may have been there all along (pre-rhinoplasty). A decision can be made by around 10 months and no revision should be attempted until 12 months. You can get a second opinion. A steroid injection will not necessarily hurt anything if performed properly. However, it may not avoid a revision all together. There is a possibility, that the injection or series of injections can get your nose to a point that it is still slightly asymmetric, but that you will be content enough with to not have a second surgery. Remember, there is no such thing as a perfect nose or perfect rhinoplasty.

Ashkan Ghavami, MD