What Are the Risks During Pregnancy After a Tummy Tuck?

I'm 18, and haven't had a tummy tuck or had children. I lost a huge amount of weight, about 180 pounds and now have loose skin. I'm going to get a tummy tuck, and I still want children in the future but that would probably be 10 years down the road. The extra skin needs to be removed. What are the risks during pregnancy after a tummy tuck? Would I have to go back for a touch up after giving birth?

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! You ask a very common question.  Simply put:  Tummy tuck does not affect childbirth. Childbirth does affect a tummy tuck, however.  The same processes that cause excess skin and muscle laxity after pregnancy have the same effects both before and after tummy tuck.  

Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks don't interfere with future pregnancies

+1

Tummy Tucks don't interfere with future pregnancies.  However after pregnancy and delivery some touchup is likely to be needed to restore stomach shape again.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question.   A future pregnancy is possible after a tummy tuck.  But a future pregnancy or any significant weight gain can potential undo the improvements from your tummy tuck.  Additional revision surgery may be needed once you are done having kids.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck before Pregnancy?

+1

-After your pregnancy there is a possibility that you will be left with some excess skin and/or separation of the abdominal muscles (diastasis), and you may choose to undergo another tummy tuck to "touch up" your abdominal contour. 

-There aren't any health risks during pregnancy to your child or yourself if you have already undergone an abdominoplasty.   There is just the possibility that you may stretch your skin and/or muscle out to such a degree that you will lose some of what you gained from your tummy tuck. 

-Congratulations on losing so much weight!  A tummy tuck will benefit you tremendously.  Definitely meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out more about the procedure and what you can expect. 

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Pregnancy possible after abdominoplasty.

+1

Without previous pregnancy and massive weight loss it's unlikely you will need repair of the fascia. Rather than abdominoplasty you probably will have a panniculectomy. Subsequent pregnancy should not be a problem.