What Are the Risks Associated & Likelihood of Occurrance with IPL?

What Are the Risks Associated & Likelihood of Occurrance with Ipl?

Risks with IPL...

+1

Risks of IPL:  Hyper- or Hypo- pigmentations, on skin if treated to strongly  Blisters, swelling, or excessive reddness can also occur. 

There aren't that many risks.  I would recommend you going to an experienced provider for these types of treatments.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Risks of IPL

+1

This risks of IPL largely depend on your skin type.  If you are more darkly pigmented, the risk of skin injury from IPL is higher because the light will be absorbed by pigment in the skin.  You should not be tan at all prior to treatment.  The exact risks of your treatment are impossible to state without knowing what is being treated, what body site (face or off the face), and what skin type you are. 

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Risks from IPL

+1

The most important thing with IPL is to search out qualified, experienced offices. Don't shop for the best price, shop for the best service. I'm going to post what I list on my consents, but note that in my office, less than 1% of people experience any complications and my office has done over 110,000 IPL treatments.

Possible risks or side effects may include pain, burning, blister formation, stinging sensations, infection, pigmentary changes including decrease or increase in skin color at the site of treatment, scar formation, laser induced “cold-sore-like” blistering, skin eruptions known as “herpetic” skin eruptions at the site of treatment, and poor cosmetic outcome. Short-term redness and some edema can be expected for a few hours after the procedure.

Although very, very rare, some patients can experience a reaction to the topical anesthetic applied prior to treatment. Patients may experience redness, itching, and/or blistering, which is short-lived and treated with mild topical cortisones. It does not leave any scarring or have permanent effects.

For any of the treatments, there may also be possible hair removal at the site of treatment even if this was not the intended purpose of treatment.

For hair reduction treatments, though most people will attain up to 70% reduction, recurrence of hair growth at treatment sites is a possibility.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD