What Are the Risks Involving Breast Reduction Procedures? (photo)

Hi, I am 21 years old girl. I am 5ft 2in tall. My underbust is 32 inch and bust is more than 40 inches. I am thinking of going for breast reduction. Please provide your insights. How will they look after reduction. I have attached some pictures

Avoid complications of the anchor technique

+1

The best technique is a new procedure called The Ultimate Breast Reduction.  This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the boat anchor technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.  The incisions are hidden around the areola and in the inframammary fold.  The breasts are reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  The weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle providing immediate pain relief and long term stability.  You are an excellent candidate for this new technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

What Are the Risks Involving Breast Reduction Procedures?

+1

Generally breast reduction is a safe procedure, especially in a young healthy individual such as yourself.  Judging from your description and your photos, a breast reduction is your only option and the longer you wait the more your breasts are going to sag and the more pressure they are going to place on your neck and shoulders.  Just make sure that you are under the care of an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who can show you enough sample photos and whom you feel comfortable with.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Breast reduction is a safe operation.

+1

Hi.

1)  Like most of plastic surgery, breast reduction is safe if it is done well.  It is very important to preserve the blood supply to the tissues, and to get a nice shape. Look for experienced plastic surgeon and ask to see before and after pictures.

2)  Based on your pictures, I would really recommend reduction for you.  I think it will improve your quality of life.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Risks of Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.
Based on your description and pictures I think you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; it tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we  perform.

By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include:  infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid),  loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, breast asymmetry, necrosis of tissue or skin,  unsatisfactory cosmetic results, unpredictability of exact cup size postoperatively,  recurrence of the breast hypertrophy, and the potential for further surgery.  Other risks  related to surgery in general include deep venous thrombosis (clots),  pulmonary embolism, pneumonia  and even death.

Fortunately, the majority of patients who undergo this procedure by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and board certified anesthesiologists do very well and complications tend  to be relatively minor and treatable. The severe complications are rare.

By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages,  when patients have reached their long-term stable weights.  In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure).

Ultimately,  you will need to decide whether the “pros” ( benefits) of breast reduction surgery outweigh the potential “cons” ( potential risk/complications).  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you educate yourself about the pros/cons of the breast reduction procedure.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

Breast reduction

+1

From your photos, it looks like you would be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.  You will not only be smaller in size, with smaller areola after a breast reduction, you will also have a breast lift.  The incisions pattern is that of an "anchor" (scar pattern around your areola, extending vertically to the fold from the 6 o'clock position of the nipple-areolar complex, and with a transverse incision within the breast fold).  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the operation, recovery, and to review photos. 

Elizabeth Kim, MD

Reduction

+1

Review the photos in the photo gallery of this website. Find patients with similar breast pre op and compare. Then go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation.  

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon