What Are the Risks of Going Larger? (photo)

I was warned before my surgery that I might want larger implants and that is the case for me, artificial looking or not. Several doctors have warned me here about the long term consequences of larger implants, but still.... My breast width is 12.5 inches my current implants are 450cc high profile. Despite best efforts to be satisfied, I am still considering increasing the size to 550cc. What are the dangers of having implants that size? I realize that all surgery is in inherently dangerous.

Larger breast implants, proceed with caution

+1

Breasts respond to gravity, whether the weight is in the implant or the natural breast tissue.  Going up 100cc will not change the overall weight much, but increasing the size also increases the potential for breasts to sag, or for implants dropping to an unappealing low position. In small-framed patients I have seen very large breasts cause back pain, which eventually led to a desire to reduce their size. I would proceed with caution, and make sure you discuss these issues with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.drthomasmustoe.com/breast-surgery/breast-augmentation-faq.cfm

Don't go bigger!

+1

It would be very, very unwise for you to go bigger.  It won't look good or feel good and will set you up for even more thinning of your breast tissue.

In my opinion, you are already too large and have crossed the line from voluptuous to matronly. 

Check out my blog on this topic.

Web reference: http://www.sowdermd.com/blog/the-cautionary-tale-of-gertrude-mcfuzz/

Risks of Going Larger? #breastimplants

+1

Thank you for your question. An in person exam is the easiest way to give you accurate advice. Being that said larger implants can create more stretch of the skin and lead to thinner tissue. Thinner tissue allows for the implant shell to become more noticeable. Making an increase of only 100 cc's probably will not increase your risk profile more than it already is. You may not even notice a big difference in the size at that increment. You have to allow you surgeon to use their years of experience to make the decision in the operating room of how big will accomplish your goals and which profile implant is the safest for you.

Leave well enough alone after successful breast augmentation.

+1

You would be ill advised to try to change what appears to be an excellent
result after breast augmentation. You run the risk of developing problems with any revision including capsular contraction.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Risk in placing bigger, high profile implants

+1

At 450 cc you already have a pretty substantial volume of implant, although at this point increasing by 100 cc is not totally unreasonable.  Aside from the obvious risks of doing any other breast implant procedure, such as infection, capsule contracture, or loss of sensation, by increasing your implant volume you will place more stress on your tissues.  This could cause more ptosis, or sagging, of your breasts as well as stress on your cleavage tissues causing a "tenting effect" which could lead to the appearance of symmastia, in which the breast width crosses over the midline, and the breasts blend together without a good cleavage.  Be sure to talk over these implications with your surgeon before making a final decision to proceed.  Good luck

Risks of using larger implants

+1

An increase in 100 cc of implant volume would only increase you up about 1/2 cup size or less.  May not be worth the effort.  Time, weigth and gravity are not on your side so the larger the implant the greater the risk of thinning of the overlying tissue and breast sagging. 

What Are the Risks of Going Larger?

+1

The risks involved added stretching and thinning of the breast tissue, and premature ptosis (sagging). 

100 cc more probably won't add a lot of risk, but also may not create a noticeable change at that volume. I would suggest a "rice test", using stockings filled with raw rice, about 100 cc, and using a sports bra, see if you really look different enough. 

All the best. 

Risks of going larger

+1

The larger the implants, the more your tissue has to stretch and thin to cover them.  This may lead to very thin coverage over the implant which can result in feeling ripples/wrinkles associated with implants if you use saline implants or twist and turn in certain ways.  The only other real risk of larger implants is the added weight which shouldn't be that much.  If you only go up by 100 cc's, I doubt either of these will be an issue for you.  Still, at this size, adding only 100 cc's probably won't do that much for you.  If you want a noticeable difference, I think you will need to go larger than 100 cc's. 

+1

The risks are more weighted breasts. But only 100 cc's not enough to re operate. I might consider 650 cc's but you need IN PERSON examinations. 

What Are the Risks of Going Larger after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Although accurate advice would require in-person consultation, I do not think a modest increase (such as 100cc) in breast implant size, would significantly increase your risk of complications.

The best online advice (in regards to optimal breast implant size/profile)  I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation revisionary surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm