What Are the Risks of Having Additional Mommy Makeovers After the Birth of Each Child?

+2

Well, although it could be done, I don’t think going to that expense and risk after each child is wise. I feel it best to finish having the children and then move forward with the makeover.  I think that the risk that goes up with each additional repeat procedure is one of potentially more bleeding due to scar tissue and also loss of sensation of the skin.

Multiple mommy makeovers

+2

Yikes!  I don't thing anyone would want to through a mommy makeover more than once.  My advice is to have all your children and then have the surgery.  While it is true that tummy tucks and breasts lifts can be repeated, if a mommy makeover patient is surprised by a little caboose,  I would never plan it that way.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Wait Until After You're Finished Building a Family

+1

Normally I would advise patients to reserve this procedure until they are finished having children to better maintain their results. While there are risks involved with any surgery, occasionally there are times when an additional mommy makeover surgery may be performed after the birth of additional children. A couple of things to consider besides the risks are the added cost and recovery time required after each procedure. I know a mother’s resources (time, money, and otherwise) are often stretched and endeavor to help each of my mommy makeover patients use their resources as wisely and effectively as possible.

David Whiteman, MD

Mommy makeovers with each delivery?

+1

I don't think that you should consider this until you have reached the time that you don't plan on another pregnancy.  Why go through the procedures each time( with poor results after the next pregnancy comes along, I might add) when you can do the surgery once after the last pregnancy with far better results.  The reason to do surgery is not strictly because you can afford it.  Please be sensible about this and reduce your risks while you increase your satisfaction- do the surgery once after your last baby is born.  You can do the procedure as soon as 6 months  after the last birth if your Obstetrician agrees.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon 

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Wait until no more pregnancies planned before mommy makeover

+1

In general a mommy makeover includes a tummy tuck and breast surgery, because those are the parts of the body most affected in ways that you can't fix with diet and exercise. However, each pregnancy will potentially undo the benefits of the procedure, and may make subsequent operations more complex. Best to wait until you aren't planning to have any more children.

Richard Baxter, MD

Multiple mommy makeovers?

+1

That's a great question, but one that is difficult to answer.  "Mommy makeover" isn't an exact procedure, but alludes to the combination of procedures that women commonly have following child-bearing.  Abdominoplasty and breast lift or augmentation is a very typical combination.  It is obviously best to wait until you are done having children, are finished lactating, and are at a stable weight before having these procedures.   Unexpected things do happen, of course, and many couples have children that are far apart in age.   Having secondary procedures after an initial mommy makeover is fairly common, but the risks depend on each individual, the type of surgery previously performed, and the expected outcome. 

Michelle Spring, MD

Risks of Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

There are a long list of potential complications associated with each surgical procedure done as part of the mommy makeover. You really do not want to chance these potential complications more than once so wait until you are done having pregnancies before having the mommy makeover.

Mommy makeovers after kids

+1

Mommy makeovers include a variety of procedures to correct the changes from pregnancy.  They all have substantial costs, and various risks but are great when done after all kids are born.  There really is little logic in doing them between kids because future pregnancies may stretch out the results making them need to be re-done.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS