What Are the Risk of Having a Circumferential TT and Total Hysterectomy? Do You Recommend?

I am scheduled for a Total Hysterectomy and would like to have a circumferentia TT at the same time. I'm a little worried about the length of time I will be under anesthesia. How long is safe for a person to be under general anesthesia? Do you recommend having both surgeries together?

DVT and Pulmonary Embolus

The number one bad risk you need to be aware of is pulmonary embolus.  A combined intra-abdominal surgery/body lift will greatly increase your risk of getting leg vein blood clots during recovery and then those blood clots traveling to your lungs.  Simply put... a complication you could die from.  Do yourself a favor, don't worry about the double recovery and do the surgeries separately.

9850 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037

Do not recommend it

I see little benefit other than one recovery period to undergoing a circumferential tummy tuck and hysterectomy at the same time.  I would recommend getting the hysterectomy first and then revisit the body contouring surgery (circumferential tummy tuck) at a later date.  In addition to improved safety, doing so will also allow your plastic surgeon to spend more time doing liposuction if needed which will further improve your results.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Combining procedures

I have performed tummy tucks at the same time as a hysterectomy and feel it can be done safely.A full belt lipectomy, however, is a different situation.  It is a much longer procedure and involves repositioning the patient twice.  it is well known that complications are more likely the longer the procedure, especially the risk of blood clots after a tummy tuck.I would consider performing a regular tummy tuck at the same time as the hysterectomy.  It can always be converted to a circumferential TT at a second procedure if necessary.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

9339 Genesse Avenue
San Diego, CA 92121-2119

Abdominal contouring and hysterectomy

It is not uncommon to have a tummy tuck at the same time of an OB/GYN procedure like a hysterectomy.  However, your plastic surgeon will need to review your overall health status to determine if it is wise and safe  to combine the two procedures.  But by "circumferential tummy tuck",  you are referring to a body lift (aka circumferential body lift), I would approach with caution.   A body lift is a longer procedure.  It requires position changes i the operating room and require more time to complete. Please visit with a board certified PS surgeon to learn more about your options. Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030

Having both surgeries together is definitely possible if you’re doing it with the right doctor and in the right facility. The only thing is that a tummy tuck and a hysterectomy on its own, the recovery is pretty hard. Doing them together can be and will be very hard to handle, if you think your strong enough to handle it and your doctor feel comfortable doing it.. Good luck.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

9025 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Tummy tucks and combined procedures

While it is quite common to have a standard abdominoplasty combined with hysterectomies, I would caution you against having a belt lipectomy (360 degree tummy tuck) because of the length of surgery and the increase in risk.  You should strongly consider doing this in stages or doing only the front with the hysterctomy then doing the back at a later time.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

11212 State HWY 151 Plaza 1
San Antonio , TX 78251

Combining Tummy Tuck with Hysterectomy

I have performed Tummy Tucks at the same time as Hysterectomy several times.  In San Antonio, it is something we do quite frequently.  There are risks involved, so I do choose  patients carefully for the combination.

Although I perform Circumferential TT quite often, I cannot think of having combined it with Hysterectomy.  I would recommend caution as this is a much more involved and longer operation than the basic TT.  Generally speaking the risks of Wound healing complications and Deep Venous Thrombosis (blood clots) would be much higher than doing either operation alone.

I would recommend that you see a few Board Certified Plastic Surgeons near you and get their opinion.  In the right hands, the chance of having one of the above complications can be reduced.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

423 Treeline Park
San Antonio, TX 78209

Not recomended to mix any internal surgery with any TT/ no se recomienda practicar cualquier cirugia interna con TT

the fact to mix an internal (intra abdominal or thoracic) , with an external  surgical could be herniae,bladdeer,hysterctomy should be avoided by the fact to jeopardize the surgical act the reasons are  time consumming and high risk of  internal coagulation problem., that would not affect in the case of external procedures like lypo and TT or BBL simoultaneously in selected patients of course

el hecho de mezclar dos operaciones una interna y otra externa( intra toracica o abdominal) pone en peligro el acto operatorio al aumentar el tiempo quirurgico y elevar la pósibilidad de una trombosis interna, cosa que no sucede  cuando se practica 2 o 3 externas al mismo tiempo, como  lypo, BBL y TT claro solo en pacientes  seleccionados

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Calle 54 No. 365 T