What is the Risk of Disease Transmission when Sharing a Syringe but Switching Needle?

I just recently had 1 syringe of juvederm ultra plus injected into my upper lip for fullness by an RN. Upon using the first syringe she said that I really needed another syringe worth to achieve the desired effect. My best friend came with me and she only used half of her syringe. The Lady who did the injections said I could use the remainder of her syringe but she would switch the needles. Is there a high risk of blood related transmitted diseases by doing this.? It was a very poor decision.

Lip Augmentation

+2

There is no “discount” worth risking transmission of disease.  To be honest, the primary concerns in reusing needles / syringes / anything that isn’t properly sterilized are Hepatitis C and HIV.  Neither of which have a cure.  Regardless of the risk of reusing someone else’s syringe, why take the chance?     

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sharing Lip Augmentation

+1

The answer is absolutely NEVER share syringes even if the needle is changed.  This is a cosmetic procedure in which you are trying to improve your appearance, why would you risk anything to cause a major problem to arise.  The nurse who suggested this to you has medical ethics that should be questioned and in many physicians opinion reported.  Your safety and health ALWAYS comes first.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist

+1

This is a clear violation of all medical code and ethics as well as basic disease transmission guidelines.  This should never, ever be done period. I'm sure no experienced MD would have done this.

Syringe sharing is a bad idea

+1

Sharing a syringe, even if you change the needle, is a terrible idea. The fact that the nurse who did the procedure suggested it, is a very scary scenario. Make sure to talk to your friend and get yourself checked.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Never share a syringe with someone else

+1

I agree with all of the other physicians who answered this question, never share a syringe with another person, even if the needle is changed.  Although the risk of disease transmission is low when you know the other person is healthy, it's not worth taking the chance.  I would like to clarify a comment by Dr. Schulman.  All of the major filler manufacturers, Juvederm, Restylane and Radiesse, do make "half size" syringes.  It is also common for physicians to sterially split syringes using a luer lock connector.  There is therefore no reason someone should need to share a syringe.  In my Laguna Niguel Dermatology practice, when patients only need or desire a small amount of product, they can purchase a smaller syringe which is more cost effective for them.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Sharing a Syringe of Juvederm

+1

It is a bad idea to share syringes or needles, even with your best friend. At least you know this person who hopefully will share any known health problems. Under the circumstances  there probably is not a high risk of transmission of disease.

Sharing same syringe is a no no

+1

Firstly, Sharing the same syringe is a definite "no no". Blood can be aspirated back into the product and in some areas we purposely pull back to be sure that we are not in a vessel. Also, why would you have a nurse inject you when you can have someone with a full medical education and knowledge of anatomy do this. Does this person realize the blood can be transmitted into the material. Secondly, In practices where we do a lot of this we have a good idea of what you will need prior to injection, especially with lips. We can split, or already have split ,m syringes for this purpose but they are split sterilly before use. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Sharing syringes, even with a new needle, places you at risk.

+1

Sharing a syringe, even when using a new needle, is a direct violation of standard precautions. I agree that you should report the RN to the state medical board. If she is engaging in this type of reckless and risky behavior, it is likely that she is also taking shortcuts in other areas as well.  I see this in NYC all the time....advertised prices for 1/2 syringes, knowing that there is no such thing as a 1/2 syringe and clearly you are getting someone elses leftovers.  This activity needs to stop and that can only happen when the perpetrators are reported.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Sharing syringes

+1

This is a BAD idea.  There is a clear risk of transmission of disease from one patient to another and this type of activity should never happen!!!

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Horrible idea and should never be done

+1

Sharing any syringes or needles is always a terrible idea and should never be done under any circumstances.  Whatever the risk is, it is clearly not worth it.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon