What is the Best Way to Get Rid of Rhinophyma?

Would it be through laser treatment (e.g. co2 laser ) or surgery? I seem to have rhinophyma but on one side of the nose since its looks large, red , and bulbous on that side. I believe this was caused by my dermatologist who popped a very big pimple i had on that side of my nose without carefullness, and put an injection on it which she said was to kil the bacteria and avoid infection. since then my nose on that is large and bulbous. Does anyone what i should do and which procedure would better ?

Rhinophyma -- Laser vs. Surgery

+1

This is a great question. The reality is that there is not a "best" or "correct" treatment for rhinophyma. Many options exist, including CO2 laser, Erbium laser, excision (decortication) and even dermabrasion. These treatments may work better for some patients than others and factors such as your skin type and propensity for scarring will be important to consider. As a final note, it is unusual to have rhinophyma on one side only. Please have this area inspected by a qualified specialist -- you may need a biopsy to rule out a skin cancer.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options to Treat Rhinophyma

+1

Rhinophyma is an enlargement of the nose characterized by thick, spongy, sebaceous skin. It is a potential manifestatioln of rosacea although most people with rosacea do not have rhinophyma.

There are many options for treatment. Some might use an ablative laser such as a Q-switched CO2 or Erbium YAg laser. Some might use dermabrasion or radiofrequency. Some might use surgery to plane away the thickened sebaceous skin.

There is no "right" way to treat rhinophyma. There are many options that work well. Best option would be to meet with doctors that you're considering and discuss their treatment method, experience, complications, etc. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Dual mode tunable erbium laser (Contour laser) is best for rhinophyma.

+1

Hi.

1)  We think this is the best laser because it allows individualized treatment.

2) CO2 lasers have high risk of permanent skin bleaching.

3)  Of course, you need good exam to make sure you really have rhinophyma.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)