What is the best way to get rid of deep under eye lines? (photo)

I've had allergies for many years and have only recently addressed them. As a result I've gotten quite heavy/deep set lines under my eyes that I am very self concious about. I'm 19 and I feel like I'm 50 when I look in the mirror because of this. What is the best way to get rid of them? Laser? Creams? I've tried retin-a and I've not noticed much difference. Do I need to see my GP or a dermatologist for help? Thanks.

A Range of Treatment Options

+1
This is a common concern for people of a wide range of ages. Lower eyelid wrinkles can be treated in multiple ways. The most definitive treatment is laser resurfacing with a CO2 laser. Lighter lasers such as a Fraxel® laser can help but will not provide the same result as stronger ones. Also, chemical peels can be performed to help tighten the skin. Fillers such as BELOTERO BALANCE® can be used to soften the tear troughs, and this can help camouflage the lower eyelid wrinkles.

Laser Resurfacing is the gold standard for lines under the eyes

+1

If all you have if wrinkles, laser resurfacing is the gold standard for lines on the lower eyelids and may be performed as a single treatment. If the lines and not too severe, nonablative laser such of the Fraxel Restore Dual and the eMatrix or EndyMed fractional radiofrequency devices also work very well; however, multiple treatments are required.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

What is the best way to get rid of deep under eye lines?

+1

You’re are far too young to consider a blepharorplasty, my suggestion is a combination of light chemical peels along with a filler like Belotero to help minimize the fine lines. Seek a reputable medical provider for an in-person consult to ensure a result you wish to achieve 

Skin only blepharoplasty or laser resurfacing for deep eyelid lines or wrinkles

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Botox injections are not safe on the lower eyelid and filler injections will not improve the deep lines and wrinkles.

A skin only blepharoplasty or laser resurfacing can improve the deep lines but should only be done by a board certified plastic surgeon who is an expert in eyelid surgery.  There are risks associated with surgical procedures and you need to be aware of them and only be treated by an experienced plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in eyelid surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1

Always best to seek IN PERSON examinations. But my over the internet guess would be a combination of hydroquinones and Belotero Balance injection.

Lower lid wrinkles

+1
For your wrinkles, Botox may help, but it may not do anything. Laser resurfacing is worth consideration, as well as a pinch blepharoplasty.  I recommend you see a board certified dermatologist, not a GP. This is outside the scope of practice of a GP, in my opinion. Best, Dr. Groff 

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Lines under eyes

+1
Your options include topical creams containing either glycolic acid or retinol (retinoic acid), chemodenervation (paralyzing muscles that cause wrinkles with medications such as Botox), surgical tightening, or laser resurfacing. The creams should be the first step and laser should be the second. I like to use an Ultrapulse Encore C02 laser. Chemodenervation is short term (several months) and can cause downward sagging (ectropion) of the eyelid from the paralysis. Surgical tightening can lead to the same. Laser is safe and effective. I wouldn't let anybody but a physician that close to my eyes with a laser, and I would expect a metal contact lens to be placed over my eye beforehand to protect the eye from the laser.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Ophthalmologist

Deep eye lid lines

+1
  1. I use small doses of Botox directly under these lines and get nice results.
  2. I recommend only a physician for these injections. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD