What is the Best Way to Get Rid of Acne Scars?

i have acne scars left and i did chemical peel glycolic 4 times by my dermatlogist and over the four times my skin improved it got rid of most of the acne and the scars but my face is still full of small scars so couple of months ago i went to see an aesthetician and she said i should do laser to get rid of scars but it costs about 700$ so what should i do?? should i continue doing the chemical peels or should i save up 700$ to do a laser scar treatment??

Re: Best Way To Get Rid of Acne Scar

+1

Well, acne scars are collagen fibers that become part of your skin’s makeup.  These fibers are created by specialized cells called fibroblasts in the dermis layer. So treating just the skin’s surface is not the most effective way to see the results you want.

There are lasers such as the Fraxel Dual which use energy that can reach deeper layers of your skin. This will heat the dermis in such a way that your skin will react as though it were wounded. This will activate the fibroblast cells to produce new collagen fibers that will fade the appearance of the scar tissue.

It is also possible to measure your treatment progress with digital imaging analysis like VISIA. Try to choose a practitioner who offers this so you can view your improvement objectively.  Most clinics will do this for free if you are a patient.

As a last tip, make sure your existing acne is cleared before addressing the scars. Here is a patient video you might want to watch

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Treatments for Acne Scars

+1

Hi Haroon,

The best treatment for your acne scars depends on the type of scarring that you have.  For atrophic (or pitted) acne scars, I find that Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing treatments work best.  However, I recommend seeing an experienced physician for your treatment.  For post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (dark spots) or post-inflammatory erythema (reddish spots), the treatment recommendation would be different - dark spots respond well to chemical peels, lightening creams, and the Fraxel laser.  Reddish spots respond well to vascular lasers, such as the VBeam or KTP laser.

Eric Schweiger, MD

Acne Scar Treatments?

+1

Hi Haroon.  The treatment we would suggest depends on the type of acne scars you have.  Deep, wide acne scars are different than icepick scars which are different than dark marks.  For the first we would use injections, the second laser resurfacing and the third hydroquinone.  Post a picture and we will be better able to make suggestions.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

There are multiple ways to treat acne scars

+1

There are multiple ways to treat acne scars depending on the type of scarring you have.   Many of these treatments are complementary, meaning that they work well in combination with each other.   Red  scars are best treated with multiple sessions of  the Vbeam laser.   For  scars  that  are  depressed or sunken, an excellent option would be injectable fillers or LaViv which is the growth and replacement of your own skin cells. Additionally, multiple sessions with the Fraxel laser can produce significant improvement.

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon