What is the Name of This Rhinoplasty Nostril Technique?

When or if I choose to go in for a consultation for a revision rhinoplasty, I would like to know the name of the rhinoplasty technique where the the fatty tissue under the skin of the nostril is thinned out. I am looking for a technique that would create thinner and vertically shorter nostrils which an Alar Base or Weir excision doesn't specifically address. Anyone with more information?

Skin Defatting in Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Revision rhinoplasty is frequently complicated by thickening of the skin and soft tissue envelope by scar.  Scarring occurs in the subcutaneous fatty layer below the skin surface and results in a heavy, poorly defined or "amorphous" appearance.  This can affect the nasal tip as well as the nostrils.  A common maouver when performing revision rhinoplasty in this setting is to carefully thin the scarred fatty layer.  This maouver is commonly referred to as defatting and carries the risk of permanent dimpling, irregularities or focal skin death if done too aggresively.  Such a procedure can be used to thin the nostrils but will not shorten them.  In ortder to vertically shorten the nostils it will be necessary to set the tip back and remove a segment of the nostrils at the alar base.

Mario J imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Fatty Tissue under Nostrils

+1

There is no specific name for the technique to remove fatty tissue under the nasal tip skin. The fat can be removed from under the skin covering the lower lateral cartilages. If the lateral walls of the ala are thick Weir excisions can be used, when appropriate, to remove the thicker part of the nostril rims.

+1

There is no special name for the removal of excess subcutaneous scar tissue and scar.  There's not any fat to speak of in the nose.  This is always part of any proper Rhinoplasty in someone with either thick skin or sub Q scar formation following a previous Rhinoplasty.  Be sure that your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.

Alar nostril thinning

+1

I call it alar nostril thinning.  I remove some of the fibrofatty tissue overlying the lateral crus of of the lower lateral cartilage.  It does create thinner nostrils, but not vertically shorter nostrils.  That is achieved by decreasing projection of the nose..

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon