How Are the Results of Threading Compared to a Regular Face Lift, Especially for Excessive Jowling?

Does face lift threading produce the same results as a traditional face lift?

Threading instead of face lift

+1

No. Threading does not work long enough to justify paying for it.

• When it first came out years ago, I tried facial threading without charge for patients who wanted to avoid surgery.  
  • Results looked great...but did not last longer than a week or two. After three threadings, there was a slight lasting improvement. To pay money for this makes no sense.
  • Have the face lift surgery. It works. The 'easy' threading substitute does not.  

With a good surgeon, face lift results can be thrilling. Best wishes!

Threadlift vs. surgical facelift

+1

I can say without reservation that results from threading procedures are in general ineffective and short lasting, especially if there is excessive jowling.

Sam Naficy, MD

Treadlift facelift has higher recovery, complications and does not last as long

+1

The “Threadlift” facelift and brow lift seemed to have wonderful potential, and there was a great deal of interest in these procedures when they first were introduced.  Unfortunately, after a short period of time, serious limitations of this procedure became apparent.  The recovery time was, in fact, more involved and prolonged than first thought.  The results turned out not to be lasting, and a number of troublesome complications associated with the threads themselves arose.  Because of these issues, the Threadlift procedure is not widely used. 

While there have been many attempts over the years to try different techniques, such as the Threadlift, many surgeons have either gone back to or continue to be confident in the traditional SMAS facelift.  I believe the traditional SMAS facelift remains the most predictable technique with the most natural-looking and effective results.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs Threading

+1

Yikes - you can't even begin to compare the surgery of a faceilft with a threadlift - btw, "threading" as you called it is a form of epilation (hair removal) that is typically used to shape the eyebrows.  But it's understandable that you would use that term as it that procedure (inserting barbed threads to pull up the skin) was marketed widely and popularly.  But it's truly like comparing apples to oranges.  A facelift - though arguably a larger and more expensive procedure, and not without risks of its own - can also produce improvements to the jowls and neck that a thread-lift can only dream about.  My advice:  go visit a few different surgeons in your area, including those who perform all of the procedures you're interested in (some surgeons may perform both, some only one or the other) and, based on that, you'll be able to put together a list of what is good and bad about each.  I suspect that you'll need a facelift to accomplish what you're talking about, but that will have to be left to the surgeons who can see you in person to help you sort that out.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Threading is ok for marionettes not faces

+1

The Drs. Sulamanadize, Russian Plastic Surgeon father & son, advanced the APTOS suture technique of thread lifts.  Apparently this technique was initially proposed in the late 70's but rapidly rejected because of excessive complications, such as visibility, palpability of the sutures, suture fixation failure, suture extrusion either in the scalp or the cheek, as well as the need to micromanage the patient's post-op activity, including the imposition of non-chew diets, limited yawning and smiling.   It made a come back around 2005 but its popularity has waned because the results were not reproducible by the average PS.

The thread lifts were positioned to replace conventional facelifts, especially since the operative time was shorter, general anesthesia wasn't required and the recovery time "shorter".  The principal lift was around the midface, so the nasolabial folds were somewhat improved, but the mandibular jowls and neck laxity remained unaffected.  It provided a short-lived, "static" lift, which was very unsatisfactory for patient and surgeon, alike. 

Lavinia Chong, MD

String lift vs. full facelift

+1

Good quality facelifts that will correct weakness to the jowls  and lower facial areas  generally will require a more complete facelift, focusing on the SMAS and platysmal  muscle layers of the face.   Simpler, more limited facelift techniques usually will be inadequate to bring the best results to  a more aging facial appearance.  Don't settle  if a  highly advertised,  simpler technique may promise the same quality result that a  more complicated but lengthier procedure is recommended .

Good luck.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Threadlift doesn't work. Choose a real facelift.

+1

Although heavily marketed as a good alternative to a facelift, the threadlift has largely been abandoned by plastic surgeons due to limited corrections of the facial aging,  poor jowl correction, and poor longevity of results.  Threads were known to break, requiring replacement and to be visible beneath the skin as thin cords.  There are a minimal incision facelifts which can be done under local anesthesia which give excellent results in the correct patients.  I recommend finding a board certified plastic surgeon and having a frank talk with them to choose the best option for you.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Results of regular facelift compared to threading.

+1

The facelift operation removes fat and excess skin from the neck, while tightening the muscles of the facial and neck.  Any type of treading procedure will only provide temporary tightening of the skin in the jowl area.  We have seen multiple complications from threading and most plastic surgeons no longer perform this procedure.  The treads simply do not hold up over the long term.  

Thread Lift Update

+1

Thread lifts as a stand alone procedure to not come close to the results of a standard Facelift. They were utilized in patients with very minimal aging changes or in patients who had prior face lifts.  Nowadays,  those patients are typically treated with volumizing (fat or fillers) or a mini lift. 

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Threadlift?

+1

I'm a little surprised that anyone is promoting this any longer after the poor and sometimes really awful results seen with this procedure.  I honestly think the only doctors who would offer this procedure do so because they are not surgeons and don't know how to do a face lift. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD