Why is the Restylane Still in my Face After 5 years?

5 years ago I had many times restylane in nose lips pucker? After that I had Teosyal in the area left from my glabella and on the right side of the glabella. But now 5 years later I have the feeling it's still not out of my face. Also I feel there still is still something in the nose lips pucker .But i really want it to leave because my face has changed so much because of it. Also the position of my nose when i smile has changed.I'm 99% sure it's not a permanent substance,so how is this possible

Restylane and longevity

+1

Without seeing you in person to determine exactly what the issue is and/or was, it is very difficult to answer your question. I would suggest posting pre-treatment and post-treatment pictures for better assessment, and consulting with a well-trained and reputable provider will help!

Stretch Effect of Restylane May Stimulate New Collagen Formation

+1

A recent research paper documented the effect of the gel fillers to stretch the skin and get a resulting stimulus for new collagen formation, in some individuals. This may explain why some people have a longer lasting effect than would be predicted by the gel filler alone. If you are one of those people, please advise your injector so they can proceed with this knowledge and not overcorrect.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm) can have a long-lasting effect but it is not from the material itself.

+1

First let me state in answer to your question that you may not have had the filler you think injected at all. I am not able to address what may have happened in your particular situation not having seen the package used and not knowing who did your procedure. What I would like to address though, is that it's not totally unrealistic to think there is a long lasting change due to the original injection, though as the other doctors here say, it's not the hyaluronic acid gel itself that is still sitting under the skin.

Studies have now shown that the trauma itself of the needles used to inject, and the stretching of the connective tissue caused by placement of the original material, does signal changes in your skin that can last longer than the gel itself. Some of these changes include native collagen formation signaled by the stretch of fibroblasts in the area. This is wonderful news for those who get good treatments, and who want some long lasting improvement. It's possible your folds may never be as deep again. But it's a warning to those who rush too fast into treatment with the wrong injector, in the wrong locations, with the wrong material. Take this procedure as it is: an invasive medical treatment that can be low risk in the right hands, but needs to be treated appropriately.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Restylane in face after 5 years?

+1

It is highly unlikely that restylane is stil in your face after five years. It usually dissolves within 6-9 months. Maybe you had something else injected?

+1

IMO, it's not possible that the Restylabne is still there after 5 years.  It sounds like you may have had a permanent filler placed instead.