What is the Recovery Time for Fat Transfer to Butt?

All I want to get is fat transfer to my butt. I am getting fat taken from my arms and injected in my butt. The doctor is saying that it is not BBL and that my down time should only be a week....is that possible?

Recovery with fat transfer to the butt

+1

I prefer fat transfer to the buttock for the vast majority of patients who have adequate donor sites to preform liposuction with harvest and grafting. It is a much simpler a recovery than with implants. in your case though I am unsure if the arms is sufficient a volume to attain enough volume to transfer to obtain the results you are looking to obtain. I like to have at least 400-500ccs to graft into each side and this frequently necessitates harvest from the abdomen, flanks and maybe thighs as the first choices for donor sites.

Recovery Time for Fat Transfer to Buttocks

+1

I encourage patients to avoid sitting or lying on the buttocks for the first week after surgery. Even the second week after surgery I will recommend avoiding too much prolonged pressure on the buttock area. Depending upon the amount of liposuction performed and what parts of the body are liposuctioned recovery from the 'donor' areas is significant by even two weeks after surgery, although long term healing will take many months. Most patients' arms will not have enough fat to make a large change in the buttock contour. However, if that issue has been discussed and you are likely to be happy with a conservative augmentation, that is your prerogative. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Recovery Time for Fat Transfer to Butt?

+1

Dear Kendra,

Buttock augmentation gets mentioned on the internet and TV shows and rarely are the facts presented correctly. I agree totally with Dr Stanton's recommendation so I will not repeat what he said but expand on the comments. Fat grafting and implants are the 2 ways to augment the buttock but they are really totally different operations and have different issues. To do fat transfer, the person needs quite a bit of fat to donate, usually more than they think. In my practice maybe 20% of those requesting grafting are really a good candidate. Everyone thinks they are fat, when in reality, they are not. Also, your buttock shape is mainly created by your muscle shape, not by the fat under your skin. Fat is soft and it cannot round out your buttock nearly as well as an implant. So trying to filll out the skin of your buttock with soft fat only goes so far. Yes, you will see these great pictures of women with fat grafting showing great round results but most of those are pictures taken when the person is still swollen from the surgery and not really a year later (despite what is claimed).

Implants do work well when done correctly, chosen for the right patient, and in moderation of size. The issue of healing time is important for buttock augmentation. For fat grafting, the blood supply needs to grow back to the transplanted fat, and this is not helped by activity. With implants, the person needs to not engage in much physical activity for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Not heading these directions can compromise the results. Having said all that, my patients that have had buttock implants are some of the happiest people in the practice and nothing can make your backside look round like and implant!

Brett Edward Lehocky, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

Recovery for a Buttock Augmentation

+1

In order to perform a true buttock augmentation with permanent results, you will need to have more fat injected than just the amount from your arms. A buttock augmentation is an entire body recontouring and in order to do this you need to have liposuction to your stomach, back and waist area. By taking down these areas and adding volume to the buttock, you will achieve a more feminine shape.

I tell my patients to take 2 to 3 weeks off of work and full recovery is 6 to 8 weeks depending on how much fat we transfer. In the first 2 weeks after surgery, it is not a good idea to sit on the buttock for more than 15 minutes at a time so you will have to recover laying down, on your side or standing up.

I suggest getting another opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Buttock Augmentation Options

+1

I can tell you that for a significant long lasting buttock augmentation result, you will need a lot more fat than from just your arms.

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere.   There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak).  Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs causing serious problems breathing. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred.  This can also happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflamation and subsequent scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice).  I prefer to insert the implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks).  The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure.  And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%.  Hope this helps…RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Autologous Fat Transfers

+1

The goal of buttock augmentation is to provide a more pleasing shape and contour to the backside by augmenting curves, correcting an imbalance or increasing size and prominence of the buttock. Dr. Copeland often uses a technique of fat grafting to provide a natural, sculpted buttock shape. Specially prepared fat taken from another part of the body, such as the stomach or hips, is placed under the buttock tissue to provide increased buttock size without the need for artificial implants. The technique is called autologous fat transfers and autologous simply means "your own." And who doesn't have a little fat to spare? This procedure can be performed as an outpatient in our fully accredited ambulatory surgery facility with "twilight" anesthesia administered by a board certified anesthesiologist. Unlike many doctors, Dr. Copeland uses a minimal incision technique, eliminating the need for large scars while providing a pleasing buttock contour and shape.  You will leave the office the same day of surgery and follow up one week after. Most patients have swelling and bruising the first 48 hours, but it decreases significantly each day.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD