What is the Recovery Time for Both a Breast Lift with Implants and a Mini-tummy Tuck?

What is the recovery time for a breast lift with implants and a mini tummy tuck? I plan to take 2 1/2 weeks off from work (I sit at a desk all day). Is that enough time? What will the recovery be like? What type of pain will I be in? Thank you.

Recovery after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

You will find that your plastic surgeon is in the best position to advise you in regards to returning to work. Every patient's  level of discomfort,  pain threshold, and return to activities  differs ( sometimes significantly).  Given that your plastic surgeon knows you ( much better than online consultants) and the planned operation,  it will be best if you check with him/her.

Recovery time for breast lift and mini-tummy tuck

+1
  • Stay home a minimize activity for the first 5 days or so
  • Can return to work and most daily activities after about 5 days
  • No heavy lifting or vigorous exercise until 3 or 4 weeks after surgery
  • Pain should be easily managed unless activity level is too high

James Shaw, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift not usually painful, implants moderately painful, mini-tummy tuck usually not a difficult recovery

+1

A mini tummy tuck is not typically a very painful procedure.  However, it is limited in effectiveness, just treating the extra skin above the pubic area.  Usually patients are better served with a full tummy tuck, but you might be one of the few that is a candidate for a mini-tummy tuck.  A regular tummy tuck is a fairly painful procedure, but "gets the job done" nicely.

A breast lift is not painful, but implants can be painful, particularly if they are placed under the muscle, which is the usual location.  It is very common to perform both breast and tummy surgery together, and it makes the most of your time off work to do it this way.  Your plan to take off 2 1/2 weeks should be very reasonable for this procedure.  Be sure you are having a vertical lift, because it is preferrable to an inverted-T or periareolar "donut" lift.  Also be sure you look at plenty of before and after pictures from your surgeon to satisfy yourself that your expectations are appropriate. I've attached my website link to breast lift procedures.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after mommy makeover

+1

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.
Dr. Basu
houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Recovery following mommy makeover

+1

Recovery time following a mommy makeover will vary from individual to individual.  I usually tell my patients that it is usually between 2-3 weeks, so you should be fine with 2 1/2 weeks off of work.  Typically, the first 3-4 days are the worst -- you may have muscle soreness which is worst in the mornings, especially if you had a lot of muscle work done.  And then you should start to feel better everyday.  While you may still have some pain when you return to work, you should be able to manage it with over the counter medications by that time.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time

+1

2 1/2 weeks should be sufficient time to recover from breast lift and enlargement and mini-tummy tuck for a sedentary job. Many patients would be ready at 7 to 10 days, but there is much variability from patient to patient, and from surgeon to surgeon. 

You may still have some discomfort when you are ready to go back, but if needed you should be taking non-prescription medicines such as tylenol or motrin.

Best wishes for speedy recovery. Thank for your question.

Recovery

+1

Recovery after a mommy makeover usually requires 2-3 weeks of downtime so I think you should be okay.  Muscle involvement in the repair of the abdomen and implant positioning does play a factor in recover.  Patients who do have muscle correction will require the full 3 weeks typically and those who do not, usually can recover well enough to return to desk work in two weeks. Ask your doctor about a pain pump to see if you are a candidate which can help expedite your progress as well.

Tripti Burt, MD

Recovery From Mommy Makeover

+1

There are several factors that will determine the time for recovery from both a tummy tuck and breast lift.  Probably, the most important factor is, does your surgeon plan on doing muscle work or just skin and subcutaneous tissue.  If you have implants placed under the muscle at the time of breast lift, then you must add an extra 4-6 days to recover.  Also, if in the mini tummy tuck, your surgeon plans to repair a rectus diastasis (separated abdominal muscles), this would add about 1 week to recovery. 

If you are just having a suprapectoral breast implant and breast lift, you should be able to go back to work in 1 week.  Make it about 10 days to 2 weeks if you are going underneath the muscle.  If you are having a skin and subcutaneous tissue only mini tummy tuck, you can go back to work in about 7 days, especially for a sedentary job as you describe.

All that being said, even if you have abdominal muscle repair and subpectoral implants, the 2-1/2 weeks you are taking off work will be sufficient to allow you to return to your normal job as you describe it.

As far as post operative pain is concerned, as long as you don't overdo it, you should be able to return to work in 2-1/2 weeks being truly sore but no real pain. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon