What would be the recommended procedures to help fix my nose without it straying to far from being 'my nose'? (photo)

It seems every time I look I find something else wrong with my nose, but I still want my nose to be "mine." I know I want to fix my drooping tip when I smile by cutting the depressor septi muscle, but I can't decide whether my dorsal hump is more an issue or the drooping tip that I have when I'm not smiling. I also don't know what to do about the extreme skinniness (literally nothing but cartilage and skin) around my bridge and the oblong shape of my tip. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Rhinoplasty

+2

The best advice that I can give for you is to go and see a rhinoplasty surgeon for consultation.  Computer imaging is useful to make sure you and your surgeon are "on the same page" also.  Rhinoplasty does not need to be dramatic.  In fact, more often, subtle changes are made to improve tip definition, smooth the bridge out, etc. without changing the overall look. I would be happy to discuss this in person.  My office is in Midlothian.  Good luck!

Dr. Bridges

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty without it straying to far from being 'my nose'?

+2

Improving the cosmetic appearance of the nose and refining its shape, yet having the result look natural, is a frequent request from patients seeking a rhinoplasty.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Drooping tip

+2

I would find a board certified PS who can take your photos and then alter them digitally until you find the look for your nose in the photoshopped images that he has created.  That way you and he will have the same final result in mind when you go to the operating room and you should be fully informed what the risks are and the possibility of creating that result.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Goals

+2

You want to refine your nose without severe changes. Just removing the hump and correcting the droopy tip will make a big difference. Consult with an experienced surgeon specializing in rhinoplasty to explain your alternatives and help you clarify your goals.

What would be the recommended procedures to help fix my nose without it straying to far from being 'my nose'?

+2
Rhinoplasty can create a tip that is refined and elevated, and the dorsal hump can be removed.  The result can be natural and subtle.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Don't overthink it.

+1
My advice would be to find a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation. There is a lot of information on the internet that can be confusion and misleading regarding rhinoplasty. Ultimately, if you decide to have a nose job, you are going to trust that the surgeon has the same vision and expectations for the results as you. Rhinoplasty is a complex operation and altering just one aspect of the nose may lead to problems or a different deformity, htere is really a synergy that occurs with the different components. That is to say, one normally has to perform all steps of a rhinoplasty operation but the sublteness comes out of not being too aggressive with any of these changes.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty question

+1
I think you should always look at improving the nose in a way that refines it so it blends with your other facial features. I'd recommend you consult with one or more experienced facial plastic surgeons in person to get an idea of how they recommend proceeding. I'm happy to see you if you'd like. Best of luck to you!

Michael Godin, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate for drooping tip and depressor septi ligament

+1
Releasing the depressor septi ligament will prevent the tip from drooping upon animation. Slight adjustments to the bulbous tip can help refine that portion of the nose.  Trimming back the hanging columella will also help shorten a long nose. Spreader grafts placed in the mid third of the nose will help widen the pinched  mid vault area where the upper lateral cartilage  attaches to the dorsum. Dorsal reduction and osteotomies will remove the hump and decrease the overall projection of the nose.  For many examples of noses similar to your own, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Rhinoplasty for hump, droopy tip, etc.

+1
Rhinoplasty for hump, droopy tip, etc. can give you a natural nose IF the surgeon does natural looking noses.Make  sure you see his work and meet with patients of his with similar noses.