What is the Best Recommendation to Treat my Capsule Contracture?

I'm 7 months out from my first BA. I have mentor 450cc silicone implants over the muscle. My left breast is soft and fluffy but my right never really settled. It's been hard since surgery and no matter how aggressive I am w/ my massages, it doesn't help. I did pop some of the scar tissue 2 months ago, but it didn't help the rest. I workout a lot - cardio, lifting, etc. I'm right handed so I flex the muscle alot. Is surgery going to fix my problem? If so, what type of procedure is recommended?

Smaller implant retro-pectoral to treat capsular contracture

+1

Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs or your bra size.  However, 450 cc implants are quite heavy (about 1 lb each) and may be excessive for your body.  You would benefit from removing the implants and placing smaller ones retro-pectoral to decrease capsular contracture.  It is possible that you may benefit from a simultaneous lift procedure.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Small silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Multiple approaches to treatment of capsular contracture.

+1

There is no single answer to your question. I wonder if the problem as capsular contracture in the first place since the implants have never been solved.

+1

The first thing is to be sure it is capsular contracture (CC) and not a high implant with tight muscle. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon. If it is early CC, ultrasound treatments, Singular or Accolate, vitamin E pills, and frequent massage and displacement movements may help. If no improvement, surgery will implant repositioning, changing to textured implants, and possible acellular dermal matrix may be the next step.Be sure to discuss with your plastic surgeon first.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Treatment of unilateral capsular contracture

+1

This is a difficult and frustrating problem especially with it only occurs on one side.  The most likely cause is some type of implant contamination either from lint from the drapes, oil from your skin, powder from the gloves or bacterial contamination from your breast tissue itself.  The first line of surgical treatment would be to place the implant under the muscle.  Studies show a decrease in capsular contracture rate when this position is used.  This would have to be done on both sides otherwise you would never be symmetric.  You should also have a complete capsulectomy and consider using a new implant on the affected side. 

Treatment for capsular contracture

+1

Capsular contracture can be a very frustrating problem when it occurs. It rarely resolves without surgery and the recurrence rate even after surgery can be as high as 50%. Changing the location of the implant to under the muscle may help. Changing to a textured implant may help. Some doctors put their patients on an asthma medicine due to a few published reports that it may help, but I have not been impressed. Other doctors will cover the implant with a dermal substrate (alloderm, strattice) but this is an expensive option without clear long term benefit. Trying to break up scar with aggressive massage will not help and may shorten the lifespan of your implant.  Discuss your options with your surgeon. Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon