What is the Best Reccomended Remedy for Swelling and Poufiness After an Abdominoplasty Surgery?.

Remedy for Swelling after Abdominoplasty?

+2

Significant swelling after abdominoplasty is to be expected. However, close follow-up with your plastic surgeon is necessary to rule out complications (seroma, hematoma or infection)  that may present as swelling. 

Once these complications have been ruled out,  and the swelling is determined to be a normal part of the postsurgical healing process,  then the best remedy is: tincture of time.

This swelling may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.  Once you understand the reason behind the swelling, you may have a better understanding why a variety of modalities marketed not necessarily expedite the resolution of swelling.

Remedy Swelling with Peri-Operative Touch Therapy

+1

After any surgery you can expect to have some swelling as part of the body’s natural reaction to surgery as it begins the healing process. To minimize this swelling following an abdominoplasty, I recommend a two-step approach: compression garment and peri-operative touch therapy.

Garment at First
 I recommend wearing a post surgical compression garment for typically two weeks, then generally suggest transitioning to a softer, more flexible support garment, such as Spanx, for the next few weeks.

Plus Massage
But equally if not more important than the garment is peri-operative massage therapy. Peri-Operative therapy starts with light touch to stimulate lymphatic drainage, then later progresses to a more vigorous kneading of the tissues as you heal further. Getting the tissue and lymphatic fluids moving after surgery significantly reduces this swelling, as well as preventing stiffness in the tissues that may impact the final results.

I recommend a minimum of three treatments for an abdominoplasty. At my Denver based practice, we begin the first peri-operative treatment the day after a tummy tuck surgery with the subsequent appointments at one week and two weeks out. 

I began incorporating peri-operative therapy into my cosmetic surgery practice a few years ago and have found that patients who receive treatments recover faster and with less discomfort.

Hope this helps
Nick Slenkovich MD, FACS

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon