What is the Real Purpose of Plastic Tubes Put in Nostrils Post Rhinoplasty?

I was told by doctor's staff member that the tubes were put in to keep nostrils from closing. Can someone explain?

Purpose of Plastic Tubes in Nostrils Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Surgeons will debate the use of tubes following rhinoplasty, but I feel the main purpose is to keep the nostrils open during the immediate post-operrative healing process for patient comfort. I don't think it will have any effect on the final result.

Tubes in the nose

+1

Sometimes internal nasal splints are used when septal work is performed.  It can help minimize scarring of soft tissue to each other.

Tubes in nostrils after rhinoplasty

+1

There should be no chance of the nostrils actually closing after rhinoplasty.  Intra-nasal splints or tubes are designed to keep swollen areas in the nose from touching and possibly causing scar bands (synechiae).  They are also touted to keep blood from collecting in the septum after septoplasty.  However, there is controversy about whether they are really necessary or really prevent the things they are supposed to prevent.  Many doctors use them simply because that's the way they were trained and they have never changed.  The tubes almost always get blocked with blood and mucous and therefore don't really let you breathe very well. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tubes in nose after rhinoplasty.

+1

After a rhinoplasty, especially when the nasal septum is straightened, splints are often place in the nose to hold the internal structures in place for a period of time while healing. The splints have ports or tubes to enable you to breathe through your nose while the splints are in place.

William H. Gorman, MD