Is Shrink Wrap Lipo Essentially the Same Thing As Laser Lipo?

Shrink wrap lipo was featured on the Dr.Oz show today.Whats the difference between this and laser lipo? Shrink wrap lipo claims to help with skin tightening and overall tissue shrinkage,will laser lipo do this too?

Shrink Wrap Lipo = Laser-Assisted Liposuction

+3

Shrink wrap liposuction is a marketing name given to a form of laser-assisted liposuction. It is not clear what, if anything, is really different about it. My perception of it is that it is just laser liposuction There is nothing scientifically written about it, if indeed it is truly different which I doubt, to support its rather astounding claims. The fact that it claims to 'replace a tummy tuck' and going back to work the next day with a 'new body' all suggest that it is nothing but overblown marketing of an otherwise standard laser-assisted liposuction technique. While there is some skin shrinkage with laser liposuction, it is very modest at best and what a patient perceives as skin tightening is never going to happen. 

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Shrink wrap lipo

+3

Shrink wrap lipo sounds like a great marketing name for liposuction persumably to tighten the skin. I have not been overly impressed with the skin tightening of any of the liposuction devices.

Cute name but what is it?

+3

It certainly has a great name which appears to be a trademarked term.  I do not know much about it as there is very little written about it.  I bet if it was such as great technique, other plastic surgeons would be using it.  Be careful about slick marketing.  It could be a great new technique that this doctor has pioneered but I am highly suspicious.  The "Dr Oz" type promotions of these techniques are great for advertising but in the end I like good hard scientific proof of results.  Good luck!

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Shrink wrap lipo: what's in a name?

+3

Shrink wrap lipo appears to be a trademarked name, but I have not seen the technique presented at a scientific conference or published for peer-review, so it sounds to me like a meaningless marketing term. It might be laser lipo, it might use radiofrequency, but in general none of these technologies produce enough skin tightening to be a substitute for a tummy tuck. If you are considering the procedure ask to see results of studies conparing one side of the body treated with "shrink wrap" to the other side using laser lipo or any other form of lipo.

Shrink Wrap? Really??!!!

+2

It is important to remember that Dr. Oz, while a good source of information, is not an expert by any stretch of the imagination in body contouring nor is he a plastic surgeon. Shrink wrap lipo is a great marketing term. It is newsworthy but meaningless. I have used all types of technologies over 15 years in liposuction and can tell you that all of them tighten skin. All of them. There are advantages to Laser assisted liposuction demonstrated in some studies but there should be more  definitive work done here. The same for Vaser. I use the Smart Lipo Triplex and am pleased with this but the marketing is often ahead of the science. Beware of gimmicks and speak to an experienced Plastic Surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is expert with with these devices and in good standing with the local hospitals and the state. Ask to see pre and post op photos. Ask to see peer reviewed studies from a plastic surgery publication, There is not a liposuction substitute that can give close to the same results as a well executed "tummy tuck" if there is significant skin laxity. It may be an acceptable result in some with mild laxity but for loose skin the abdominoplasty is still the gold standard. There is also the added benefit of muscle plication. There are limits and trade-offs to all procedures. 

Shrink Wrap Lipo vs. Laser Lipo, Same thing?

+1

Shrink wrap liposuction sounds like a very catchy name for a liposuction machine.  It is basically another liposuction modality that uses laser energy.  Lasers are supposed to tighten the skin at time of surgery.  The literature is mixed, and is dependent on patient, surgeon and area treated.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon.  They will guide you through the process....

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/liposuction

Shrink wrap

+1

The Dr. Oz show depends on advertisement and sponsors to flourish. This sounds like one of the many glorified machines out there that say they do a lot more than they can

Shrink Wrap Lipo and Laser Lipo

+1

Both of these claim skin tightening greater than that obtained with conventional liposuction techniques.   I think that the premise of the laser tightening the skin is theoretically possible, but the degree of skin tightening is very small with the present technologies.  You have to remember that laser lipo is not without attendant risks such as skin burns, and these techniques have certainly not replaced skin removal surgeries such as tummy tuck.

What is Shrink Wrap Lipo?

+1

It's someone's cute marketing term, using a laser-assisted approach to liposuction. The most important part of laser-assisted liposuction is liposuction. The key to having the best result with liposuction is being a good candidate. Lasers used during liposuction can help with skin tightening, but you still need to be a good candidate. If the skin is too damaged, it just won't tighten very much. The best way to determine what liposuction, laser-assisted liposuction, or any externally applied tightening procedure will do for you is to have a face-to-face consultation with a physician experienced in all of these options.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon