What is the Best Way to Heal After Facial Fat Grafting to Protect the Cells? (photo)

I had 2nd Facial fat grafting in a series of 3. What can patients do to help improve fat vascularizaton? For instance, can some sleep positions help, or gentle postop massage or warmth? What immediate postop and additional advice can you offer? Diet? I wore a stretchy fabric face support for 2 weeks, but I also had a modified face-lift with a slightly longer incision than the "short scar" lift. I'm at week #4 & the swelling has subsided (I would have gladly kept some of it!) Thanks

What is the Best Way to Heal After Facial Fat Grafting to Protect the Cells?

+2

Thanks for the photo posted. you look good after the "face" only lifts and fat grafts. What I don't understand is the series of fat graftings? How many cc's were placed of fat in the first operation? Using the "Coleman" techniques I place from 40 to 80 cc's in ONE session. So I'm uncertain exactly what you are having done. As for healing I recommend for my patients LED therapy and very light tissue massages. Good Luck

Healing Post Facial Fat Grafting

+1

It is important to keep your head elevated post operatively for the first 2-3 weeks after any type of facial rejuvenation. I perform a “Lift & Fill” facelift where I do precise fat compartment augmentation. I usually do mild compression on this area for at least 2-3 weeks post facial rejuvenation and fat grafting to the malar area.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Fat Grafting Survival

+1

In general, movement and pressure affects fat viability.  Avoiding these components likely influences yield.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

How to keep your fat surviving after facial fat grafting

+1

I usually instruct patients to study the art of ventriloquism for the first 2 months and practice it. Limiting facial movements can help your fat to survive. Much of the survival is based on the technique that is done. Make sure to eat well during the first 2 months. Don't sleep on your face for 2 months if possible.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to protect fat grafts

+1

Wth 35 years of fat grafting I recommend a carbohydrate rich diet after fat grafting.Raising your insulin level protects the fat.Everyone has heard of glycemic index whereby carbs are eliminated to lose weight with fat grafting you do the opposite

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

+1

This is difficult to answer without seeing you, and knowing exactly how much and where your surgeon performed the autologous fat grafting.  When performing facelift I very often utilize autologous fat grafting at the same time, and I always over correct, so that as some of the fat is initially reabsorbed, it usually brings the injected area into a pleasing symmetry and contour not only for the patient but for the surgeon as well.  I always suggest gentle massage for the first two to three weeks, and longer if necessary, and generally speaking I have had some of my patients sustain results from fat grafting for 6 years. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon