Do the Pro's Outway the Con's in a Coronal Brow Lift?

I've heard many horror stories about the coronal brow lift, such as numbness, headaches and hair loss. Is it worth it?

Coronal browlifts and the Jurassic era- a slightly tongue-in-cheek view

+3

Coronal browlifts cut through the deep branch of the supraorbital nerve.  This causes permanent numbness in the top of the head and, in many patients, irritating nerve symptoms.

Coronal lifts also elevate the hairline, introducing an instant appearance of age to the face.

The coronal browlift often elevates the central brow, creating a quizzical appearance.

Often, there is a bald strip across the head where the coronal lift was done.  This may often be improved with scar revision after the tissues loosen a bit.

Other than that it's a fine operation.

Many fine doctors use the coronal lift, however, and their patients are happy with the procedure, so who am I to judge?

There are several other browlift options that can benefit most patients.  I've written a chapter on browlifts in the textbook Mathes that covers most of them.

Coronal browlifts are good in the right circumstances

+2

A coronal brow lift is a good procedure for patients without a high hairline and in those where specific elevation requirements of the brows are not necessary. The rule of thumb is that the further away from the brow the less accurate one is in elevation. The incision is a long one and does result in numbness since the cutanous nerves are cut. In my hands I prefer either an endoscopic lift for patients who do not have a high hairline or a pretrichial/trichophytic lift in those where the hairline cannot be elevated. Headaches and even some reflex nausea are common sequelae after all brow lifts whereas hair loss is not unless hair shock develops as a result of decerased blood supply and tension placed on the incision line. Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coronal Brow Lift Pros and Cons

+2

Thank you for your question. The answer to that depends on who is doing the procedure, and who having the procedure done, and then how you respond to the treatment.  Numbness is a risk to many facial procedures, and is not entirely predictable. No surgery is without risk, and while these side effects are not common, they are a possibility.  Unfortunately, usually only those who have had a complication feel moved to post results.  The happy ones seem to have other things to do.  I have only seen one coronal lift that had minor numbness in nearly 20 years.  But remember, no surgery is without risk. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

+2

The resultant hair loss is largely the result of technique not the approach itself.  It is not an unreasonable approach in a patient with a low or moderately placed hairline and dense hair.  The incision at the hairline is also a reasonable approach, particularly for the patients with a high hairline and/or brow descent.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial procedures and brow lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Pros vs. cons of coronal brow lift

+2

It depends who you ask.  I try to discuss different options with my patients and discuss that different physicians may approach any problem in various ways.  There are plenty of doctors who do coronal brow lifts and swear that their results are superior to doctors (like myself) who try to steer patients to small incision lifts.  Personally, if it was me, I would prefer having a brow lift with the smaller incisions.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Coronal browlift vs endobrowlift.

+2

The incision for a coronal browlift starts at one ear and runs to the top of the other ear.  There usually is discomfort. much headache and pain following this procedure. One will note more edema with a coronal browlift than with an endobrow.  I high recommend the endo browlift above the coronal.    The endobrowlift usually consists of 5 incisions that are right at the hairline.  There is minimal swelling or discomfort. 

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

+2

Yes, the Coronal Browlift still remains the gold standard for brow lifts and is the only method of browlifts that I still use for over 25 years.

Coronal Brow lift

+2

Dear Joanne,

There is no longer a role for a coronal brow lift. It is a very antiquated procedure that should not be used. There are many different approaches/techniques for a brow lift, but the coronal approach should not be part of the surgeon's repertoire. It has unacceptable risks including loss of hair. For a female, the most common brow lift approach would be an endoscopic brow lift. With this technique, the incisions are much smaller and also hidden behind the hairline. If the hairline is high and the forehead is long, the incision can be placed just in front of the hairline to bring the hairline down while also lifting the brows. Hope this helps.

Keith Ladner, MD
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coronal Brow Lift Risks and Benefits

+2

Joanne, 

Thank you for your questions. I would have to agree with the majority of surgeons that are weighing in on your question. Although a coronal lift is a tried and true technique, there is only a small role for coronal brow lifting these days with endoscopic techniques. The negatives factors such as alopecia, hairline elevation, elongated scar, and numbness are problems that can largely be avoided with alternative techniques. An endoscopic brow lift adequately improves the brow position in the majority of individuals.  For those with a high hairline, incorporating a pretrichial incision will maintain or lower the hairline position while elevating the brow. It is best to see a surgeon with experience in a multitude of techniques so that you will have all the options available. 

I hope this helps. Take care. 

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coronal brow lift pros and cons

+2

I have found that there is a very limited need for a coronal brow lift.  The problems that you have listed such as numbness, headaches and hair loss are all possible as well as visibility of the scar when your hair is wet.