What Are the Pros and Cons of Having Surgery in Office Based OR?

My plastic surgeon operates in his own office based operating room and it does appear as state of the art. However, is it better to do it at a hospital or surgery center? Or does location is really secondary? Thanks

Fully accredited office operating room

+1

A fully accredited office based operating room should be fine for most patients. I use my office operating room for cosmetic surgeries on patients with low risk.

Office based operating room

+1

Some outpatient procedures can be done very safely in an office operating room provided that you are healthy, the procedures do not take too long, and the operating room is certified and meets accreditation standards.  Many plastic surgeons have office operating rooms certified by the American Association for Accredidation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF)...go to AAAASF.org to see if your doctor's facility meets these criteria for safety.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon