What Are the Pros and Cons of Radiesse, Juvederm, and Artefill for the Non Surgical Nose Job?

I am considering getting a non-surgical nose job to heighten my nose bridge (I have a flat asian nose). I am not sure which filler to use though. I know the pros, but what are the cons (side effects) of each filler? Thank you!

Non-surgical rhinoplasty

+1

Dear chelsea.hong,

• I would stay away from the longer lasting fillers for your first time (Radiesse and Artefill)
  • You should try Juvederm or Restylane first which look and feel natural, and can be dissolved in case you do not like the results
  • After your first time, you can decide whether you would like a more permanent change and opt for a rhinoplasty, or get Radiesse which lasts a little bit longer
  • Being a rhinoplasty surgeon, I can tell you that operating on a nose that has had Radiesse injected into it makes the surgery more difficult as the tissues are more sticky and do not dissect as easily, that is why I think you should stick with Restylane or Juvederm first

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Augmenting a nose with fillers

+1

A filler such as juvederm or restylane is a great starting point for augmenting the nose because they are widely used and tested, and because if you weren't happy with them, there is an antidote (hyaluronidase).  They will typically last 12-18 months in this location. If you then decide that you really like the look, then I think it reasonable to consider a longer lasting filler like radiesse or artesense which do not have an antidote if you are unhappy with them.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Non Surgical Nose Job with Fillers

+1

Dermal fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane have been used to augment noses without surgery. As with all fillers, these add volume to the area where they are employed. Patients with asymmetric noses, bumps or depressions on their nasal bridge, and very thin noses would be potential candidates. In these patients, the filler can be used to reshape the nose, smoothing out the bump or depression, or adding thickness and bulk to specific areas of the nose. If your concern is that your nose is too large, fillers would not be a good option. Again, they add volume and cannot take it away. The fillers are temporary, and therefore this procedure will need to be repeated 1-2 times a year to maintain the effect.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty using fillers

+1

You can use fillers such as Radiesse or Juvederm to correct some asymmetries of the nose, add more projection to the dorsum or tip of the nose.  The benefit is you can reshape the nose without surgery.  The limitations are that you can only add volume and not subtract.  The other limitation is that if you like the result, it is temporary.  You may get the result you want for a year or so, but will have to maintain the look.  It is also a great test run to see how you would shape the nose in anticipation for surgery.  

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD