What Are the Pros and Cons of Latisse for Health Care Providers

Pro's and Con's of Latisse

+1

There are pro's and con's with most everything but Latisse has been a wonderful addition to our office.  Most patients LOVE the product and LOVE the results.

Talk to your doctor and go over the potential risks with the product to make an informed decision to use the product.

Best Wishes!

Great treatment, but review risks with patient

+1

Bimatoprost ophthalmic solution (Latisse) is a truly effective medication for induction of lash growth. I am always amazed at the results. The most minor risk is that is does not work for a small percentage of patients (risk of wasting their money). More serious risks include pigmentation, irritation or redness of the eyelid. The upper eyelid darkening can be permanent, but is usually minor. There is data in the ophthalmology literature that bimatoprost can darken the iris, especially in patients who have mixed color or freckled irides. Patients with solid blue or solid brown irides are usually not at risk for this. Unfortunately, this process is irreversible, so it should be discussed.

In practice, this does not seem to be a real concern as long as the medication is used as directed and not placed in the eyes. This formula is also sold as a glaucoma medication (Lumigan) and certainly causes darkening of many patients' irides as it is used directly on the eyes. This is actually how Latisse was "discovered"... glaucoma patients using these medications were getting exceptional lash growth!

There is some new data coming out that bimatoprost and other prostaglandin analogue medication may have a few other orbital side effects, including shrinkage of orbital fat and resultant "sinking in" of the eye or increase in depth of the superior sulcus of the upper lid.

"All medications have potential side effects"

Evan Black, MD
Detroit Oculoplastic Surgeon

Latisse is a great product with wonderful results

+1
I do not really see any downside for healthcare providers regarding Latisse. I have prescribed Latisse in my office since it first came out for lash lengthening and thickening from Allergan and I have had no adverse complaints or reactions from my patients.

Michael Elam, MD

Pros and cons of Latisse

+1

Latisse is wonderful drug which induces eyelash growth and is FDA approved for this use.  As a physician, we should be learning as much as possible about treatments and informing patients of which ones work and which ones do not.  Since the effectiveness of this medication and its side effects are known, why not recommend this medication rather than have patients use OTC products whose side effects and effectiveness are unknown.

Sandy Feldman, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

Latisse - what value to health care provider

+1

I'm confused by your question, but will answer with three perspectives.

For consumers, Latisse has the advantage of being the only eye lash product that is FDA approved with the attendant required clinical studies regarding safety and actual effectiveness. It is a simple use product with few side effects, the most common being some transient redness or slight itching. The big pro is longer, lusher lashes.

For health care providers who prescribe Latisse, there is a moderate profit in offering a solution to patients who have sparse eyelashes so they feel more comfortable with their appearance. Like many RX products intended to approve appearance, Latisse is not covered (for the most part) by insurance and as such becomes a retail product that is dispensed in the office.

From a third persepctive, if you are a health care provider and personally use Latisse, you will likely notice that your patients remark on your beautiful lashes.

Nasrin Mani, MD
La Jolla Ophthalmologist

All pros and no cons for using Latisse

+1

Latisse is a prescription-only solution that has been scientifically proven to stimulate the growth of eyelashes. Many studies have been done to prove its effectiveness using unbiased observers. At present, Latisse is the only FDA approved treatment for growing eyelashes. Side effects from the initial clinical studies for Latisse showed less than 4 percent of patients experienced redness, irritation and itching of the upper eyelid, which was reversed upon discontinuation. There have been over two and a half million prescriptions filled for Latisse with no confirmed reports of iris pigmentation issues. So there really are no cons for using Latisse.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse is very safe, with few "cons"

+1

Latisse has proven itself to be a very effective and safe product to lengthen eyelashes.  The only "cons" are the possible side effects (which are relatively rare).  It can cause local reactions like redness or irritation.  I don't hesitate it to recommend it to people in any profession.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pros and cons

+1

Latisse is a wonderful product. Creating long full eyelashes and or brows is a cosmetic improvement that most women love. I see no downside.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Pros and Cons of Latisse

+1

Truly unsure what you mean by this question, but am assuming, you are a health care provider....? I would say the easiest of the pros is that most people feel better and think they look prettier by using Latisse. And of course, have longer, thicker, darker eyelashes. I don't have any cons, actually, no matter what field you work in.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD