What Are the Pros and Cons Associated with Having a Breast Lift with Augmentation?

In other words should these two procedures be done in stages.... Say, if I wanted to increase the volumn of my breast, I should wait until the lift has "settled" (3 mnths + post sx) so as to increase better outcome.

Lift essential, augmentation option

+1

Your photograph shows ptotic breasts and large volume.  Unfortunately, you have not stated your bra size but it is possible that a lift by itself will give you the projection you desire.  There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift, which reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  This technique maintains nipple sensation, the ability to breast feed and avoids the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions.  Most women refuse breast lifts because of the ugly vertical scars but this technique eliminates them.  If you want an implant to increase your size that can also be done simultaneously but it may not be necessary. 

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation

+1

Some surgeons stage a breast lift and augmentation and some surgeons do both at the same time.  It depends.

+1

This is best answered by the surgeon as each patient is unique and the pros and cons may vary for each patient. Based on the the picture, a breast lift may be enough.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

The pros of lift with augmentation

+1

The choice of a single procedure makes lift with an implant an obvious positive for most, and staging a procedure is much talked about, though our guess few would op for two procedures. Unless your implant decision is very large and a challenge to the breast skin, a single operation ought to do.

Pros and cons of simultaneous breast lift and augmentation

+1

There is no easy and general answer to this question. It all depends on the specifics of the two procedures and the experience and risk tolerance of the surgeon, as well as of the patient. When planned carefully and without extremes (such as extreme amount of lift or extreme size of implant), the two procedures may be performed simultaneously. The pro, of course, is you have one surgery with one recovery course and possibly a lower cost. The disadvantage is there may be an increased risk of complication due to compromised blood flow since a lift generally tightens the breast envelope and the augmentation with expand it. These to conflicting factors may compress the intervening blood flow and cause healing problems. The other disadvantage is that if there are too many moving parts (i.e. change in nipple location, change in skin envelope dimensions, change in volume and distribution of volume, etc.) the end result can be a bit less predictable. However, an experience surgeon can factor some of these variables and produce safe and reliable results. I typically will perform the two operations together if possible.

Robin T. W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

+1

I typically perform the breast lift and augmentation at the same time, and my revision rate is next to nothing.   Certainly, the operations can be staged.    Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

What Are the Pros and Cons Associated with Having a Breast Lift with Augmentation

+1

Those who prefer doing these procedures in stages do so in the belief that the risks of major complications are lower. In that regard, the outcome is better.

If the lift can be accomplished with a vertical mastopexy and the implant is not very large, many surgeons would do this in a single operation. 

All the best. 

Staged or simultaneous breast lift and augmentation

+1
Breast augmentation involves adding volume to your existing breast in hopes of expanding the existing skin envelope, filing it out, or just making it bigger and more stretched out. Breast lift surgery involves trying to remove the excess skin, reshape the existing breast tissue into a more compact and tighter geometry, and in general tighten the breast. These two procedures tend to "fight against each other" when done together. One is trying to stretch while the other is trying to tighten. For this reason, simultaneous breast augmentation and breast lifting can result in a higher risk for unsatisfactory scarring, especially when using large implants. 

Both procedures also take significant amounts of time before the final results of the surgery are visualized. Breast implants alone often take 3 months before they are softened and settled into the pockets in a natural way. Breast lift surgeries often look overly tightened for a period of time as well. Trying to make exact determinations about how much skin needs to be removed and how tight the lift should be made to match with a certain implant is often difficult. For that reason, breast lift and augmentation combination surgery is probably one of the highest revision rate procedures that is performed. 

Staging these surgeries does allow for a more precise end result in many cases. With that being said, most surgeons perform breast lift and augmentation together in a single procedure. And often the results are great. It is the way that I most often perform the procedures on my patients when we know for certain that both the lift and augmentation are going to be needed. But I make sure that my patients understand that the surgery, when combined, does have some challenges in precision and revision surgery is often needed for optimal results. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon