What is the Proper Aftercare for a Tattoo Removed by Infrared (Irc)?

Laser Tattoo Removal Aftercare

+1

These are the instructions we give patients at my office, Cape Fear Aesthetics:

Keep the site moist with an antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin, Polysporin, Neosporin, or Mycitracin—all available over the counter) until the irritation subsides (generally 3-4 days.)

Do NOT let the area dry out or scab. This is especially important during the first 48 hours.

Feel free to shower 2 hours after the treatment, but take care to avoid high pressure water hitting the treated area. Baths, hot tubs, swimming pool, or any form of soaking are not recommended until all blistering and scabbing are completely healed, as they may increase the risk of infection.

Avoid scratching the area during the healing process.

You may feel discomfort for the first 24 hours after your treatment. You may need a non-aspirin pain medication.

The skin should heal normally in 10-14 days. Contact us immediately if you should have any concerns.

The tattoo will look foggy, and begin its fading process over the next month.

Fading is typically 20-50% with each treatment. The total fading process can take up to eight weeks.

Green inks fade more slowly and may take up to 16 weeks to achieve maximum fading.

Wear a sun block with an SPF of 25 or higher over the area for 3 months following the treatment. Do not wear makeup or any cream or medication on or near the treated area unless recommended by our office for 48 hours.
If the area looks infected (honey colored crusting and oozing or spreading redness), if you experience an unusual discomfort or bleeding, if any other complications develop, or if you have any questions or concerns, contact the office immediately.

Exercise is generally safe after treatment, taking into account the other after care instructions provided here.

"Dr. D"

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo care

+1

Hi, I hope the place you were treated at took the time to review wound care instructions with you, if not, do you really want to be treated at a place that does not spend the few minutes it takes to describe the wound care you need to do?

By infrared, I am assuming you were treated with a laser with a wavelength in the infrared range? Post treatment I usually recommend very gentle wound care with cleaning the area with soap and water and then a thin coat of petrolatum and a bandage. Usually it takes several days for the treated area to heal. Hope that helps. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon