What is the prognosis for normal healing after a hematoma has been evacuated?

Thanks to the realself surgeons, I was able to diagnose and seek treatment for my hematoma. I am now 5 days postop from the evacuation and my PS says the incisions are looking good. In your experience, does treatment for a hematoma put me at a higher risk for capsular contracture, or is that simply for untreated hematomas? Am I at a higher risk for another bleed post-evacuation?

Prognosis for normal healing after removal of breast implant hematoma is excellent

+3
Thank you for your question.  In my experience Removal of a breast implant hematoma, cleansing of the pocket with antibiotic solutions and replacement of the breast implant has actually led to quicker healing and a better ultimate result than the untreated side.  I believe the benefit of removing blood and all tissue fluid around the implant and reinserting the implant actually has a beneficial effect on your healing.

Significant hematomas after breast augmentation should be surgically drained.

+1
Treatment of a hematoma after a breast augmentation expectantly leads to higher rate of capsular contracture. Proper treatment is removal of the blood from the pocket, cleansing the pocket, and reinserting the prosthesis.

Hematoma affect final result after breast augmentation

+1
In my experience, when the hematoma is treated immediately, full evacuation of all blood, control of whatever is bleeding and antibiotic irrigation, there is no discernible effect of the final result.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma and washout

+1
Once the washout is performed( if caught early) and the incision is closed, I find in some cases there is some more swelling on the treated side but eventually it improves and matches the other side.

Hematoma following Augmentation

+1
Your surgeon treated you well and appropriately in evacuating your hematoma, cleaning out the pocket, and replacement of your implant.  Leaving the hematoma to absorb without surgery increases your chance for contracture, but a well performed evacuation should not.  Additional bleeding post evacuation and careful control of any small bleeding points is rare.

John M. Griffin, MD