What is the Process of Correcting a Nose That Was Damaged by an Impact 10 Years Ago? (photo)

When I was young I flew off a seesaw and hit my nose. I never told my parents but they noticed that I became nasally when I talked. Years later I told them what happened and they took me to a doctor who said my cartilage had collapsed into one nostril. I only breath thru one nostril. I also have an Owen Wilson thing going on with my bone. So what I want to know is: How much will it cost to correct (I have insurance)? Do they have to break my bone to correct the crookedness? and How long to heal?

Deviated Septum and Rhinoplasty

+1

If the septum is deviated and this correlates with the symptoms, insurance will likely approve septoplasty.  However, any cosmetic concerns (rhinoplasty) will not be covered.

Collapsed cartilage inside the nose blocking breathing is called a deviated septum

+1

A deviated septum is also the most common reason why someone can breathe better through one side of their nose. Externally, when a nose is broken, the bones often shift, as yours did and the lower 2/3, which is cartilage, can also shift and flatten. Insurance usually will pay for a deviate septum repair (septoplasty) but external surgery is often excluded. Fees may range from $5000 to more than $10000 depending on the region and your surgeon. But you have one nose and should do it right so find the best nose doctor you can and get an opinion.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD