What is the Best Procedure to Fix the Loose Skin Above my Navel and the Belly Button Appearance? (photo)

I had my son 6 years ago at the age of 22. My belly button never went back to normal and the skin ABOVE the navel is loose and saggy. Its not a great deal of extra skin, but it collapses the belly button. I also had saline implants rupture after 8 years post-op, and I need to remove and replace them with silicone gel. Are there any surgeries that can be done in conjunction to fix bot problems at once?

Abdominoplasty? maybe not !

+3
Very interesting to see the numerous options provided to you regarding your question.  Firstly, you are 28.  Are you planning on more children?  Hold off if your are. You seem to have a diastasis (separation of the muscles), but difficult to assess from the photos alone.  Only problem is that your belly button is relatively high.  A full abdominoplasty would require a vertical closure in your situation... not acceptable to everyone, or an extremely high scar.   A reverse abdominoplasty with a scar extending across the midline leaves a very unsightly incision
If you are not planning extending your family, consider a modified abdominoplasty, perhaps in two stages if necessary, with lowering of the present umbilical position with tightening of the muscle.  If the skin redundancy above the belly button is still excessive and not to your liking, excision of the skin above your belly button could be undertaken in the office under local anesthesia.  This negates the vertical closure scar and minimizes the length of your abdominoplasty scar.  This is not a clear cut case, ask questions !

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Best option for Loose Skin Above Navel

+2

This is an excellent question for someone who is in very good shape after pregnancy. It appears that you may have a separation of the rectus muscles, called a diastasis. In spite of this you  have very little excess skin above the navel. In this situation I typically recommend a modified abdominoplasty, which has a short incision, no incision by the belly button, and includes repair of the diastasis. The excess skin is shifted downward during the procedure and the excess removed in the bikini line incision. This is sometimes referred to as a floating umbilicus technique. I never recommend a reverse abdominoplasty because the location of the scar can be quite visible. A modified abdominoplasty can safely be performed in conjunction with any breast implant procedure. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Full Abdominoplasty

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to develop redundant abdominal skin, stretch marks, weakened abdominal muscles, and distortion of the umbilicus following pregnancy. When this situation arises, a variety of surgical options exist which are tailored to the patients individual needs. 

Your pictures suggest that you would be an excellent candidate for a full abdominoplasty. This procedure would remove excess skin and fat, tighten your underlying muscles, remove stretch marks, and improve the appearance of your umbilicus. This procedure could be done in combination with breast augmentation revision.

If you’re considering abdominoplasty surgery, it’ s important to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon who can perform a physical exam. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan that will address your concerns.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Procedures to consider

+1

To address the concerns you stated, a tummy tuck would help to contour the abdomen and redrape the redundant skin above the belly button.  Your implants could likely be replaced at the same time.  Good luck

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

+1

You appear to have some degree of lower abdominal wall laxity and excess skin both of which can be corrected with a abdominoplasty. Your implants can be replaced

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

What is the best procedure for me?

+1

Thanks for providing the photos.  

On first glance, it appears that you would have enough excess skin for an abdominoplasty (or Tummy Tuck procedure).  That would take care of the loose skin and provide you with a much more optimal appearance to your abdominal wall.  

At the same time, you could consider changing out both of your saline implants for silicone gel implants and adjust the size as you prefer.  

The combination of these procedures is often referred to as either a "Mommy Makeover" or the "Before Baby Body" procedure  

Best of luck.  I hope this information was helpful!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

+1

You can replace the implants with silicone implants, and to fix the abdominal issues, a tummy tuck would be the best option. This is a common combination of procedures for moms...hence the term "mommy makeover". Best of luck.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck

+1

You can definitely have surgery to fix both issues!  You could have a breast augmentation revision to replace your ruptured implants with silicone gel and a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty to remove loose skin in your abdomen and tighten the muscles below which are relaxed after being pregnant.  Women are extremely happy after this type of transformation!  Good luck!

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin of the abdomen requires surgical excision – abdominoplasty.

+1

The photograph demonstrates laxity of the abdominal wall and surplus skin of the abdomen. The umbilicus serves as an anchoring point and must be released for tightening of the skin of the entire abdomen. This adds up to a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty.

Mommy Makeover

+1

Looking at your pictures, it looks like you would benefit most from a full tummy tuck.  That will flatten your abdomen, narrow your waist, improve the belly button and get rid of the loose skin.  Replacing your implants at the same time is safe and a common procedure in the Mommy Makeover.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon