What is the Best Preventative Treatment for Atrophic Forehead Scar? (photo)

Hi, I recently had an injury when a door opened and the edge hit my forehead. This caused a break in the skin which started bleeding. I went to hospital and skin glue was applied. After two weeks and I am left with a thin depressed scar (please see picture). I have been applying Silicone Gel to the wound since 7 days after the accident happened. I'd like to know if the silicone Gel will help with this type of scar and anything else I can do. Will I require scar revision to improve it?

Scar revision options for forehead scars

+1

Pulsed dye laser and percutaneous scar release will improve this scar on your forehead. Both treatments can be performed early in the process of wound healing. 

Depressed Scarring

+1

Sometimes after a wound occurs, it will appear depressed.  This can occur even when the edges of the wound were re-approximated well with sutures.  This usually will resolve over time.  It is caused because superficial lymphatic vessels are interrupted by the wound.  This will lead to swelling on one side or both sides of the wound.  When the lymphatic channels re-establish themselves, the wound will no longer look depressed.  You can help this process along with a gentle massage two times a day using cocoa butter with vitamin E cream.  Keep the sun off of the wound.  Keep it moist with Aquaphor Ointment during the healing process.  A dry crust or scab will encourage the skin to heal below the scab possibly leading to a depressed looking scar.  I hope that this helps you out. 

Jay S. Gottlieb, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist