What Are the Potential Complications After an Umbilicoplasty Procedure?

Will my belly button be prone to tearing even after the mini-tummy tuck surgery has been completely healed some years after the procedure already?

The Belly Button After a Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck removes about half of the skin of the lower abdomen, repositions the muscles of the lower abdomen and changes the position and shape of your belly button.  Typically there is no scar around the belly button but it is a little bit lower and more vertical (up and down) in orientation.  The shape looks more like a pre-pregnancy belly button and is usually a cosmetic improvement over the oldd belly button.   There is no reason to think that it would be more vulnerable to tearing or irritation after surgery.

Belly Button Complications after Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

It would be unlikely to have tearing of the skin around the umbilicus since there would not typically be an incision made in this area. If you had a scar there before it should be stable. If the surgeon is contemplating performing a correction of the umbilicus then wound complications might occur, depending on the nature of the repair, although risks should be low. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Umbilicoplasty?

+1

For clarification, mini tummy tuck surgery generally does not involve decisions around the umbilicus. Make sure you understand the difference in mini tummy tuck and full tummy tuck surgery so you're not disappointed with the results of surgery.

Umbilicoplasty  complications include infection, abnormal scarring, unsatisfactory size (too small or too big),  incorrect positioning, unsatisfactory aesthetic results etc.

Will my belly button be prone to tearing after the mini-tummy tuck surgery?

+1

Classically, in a Mini-Tummy Tuck the belly button is not separated from the tummy skin. As such, it should not tear or rip. When umbilicoplasties are performed, depending on why they are done and how they are done, they could be associated with a narrow umbilicus closed by scar tissue, a malpositioned belly button, or on rare occasion even partial or complete loss of the belly button.