How Are the Post-op Instructions and Recovery Different Between a BA and a Revision Surgery to Go Smaller?

Hi, When one has had large breast implants for a few years and decides to go smaller, about 150cc less and a change to a lower profile implant, with the need of a few stiches to decrease pocket size, what are the differences in the recovery process and is there any difference in the post-op care and instructions? Also, is there anything to look out for during the recovery?

Implant surgery

+2

Good question!  when you have internal pocket suturing performed, the surgeon will often be very cautious when it comes to post surgical activity.  Too much activity too soon can cause the stitches inside to tear through, leading to malposition of the implants.  You should follow the directions of your surgeon. But if they seem overly conservative, that is probably the reason why.

Revision vs primary breast augmentation

+2

Usually revision surgery is not as painful as a primary breast augmentation.  But i would still caution my patients from doing exertional activity soon after surgery.

Recovery

+2

Recovering from a virginal BA to a REVISION, revision is easier less painful. The instructions should be the same as the first time around. Contact your PS and make sure you get adequate Post op instructions.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Recovering from implant exchange for smaller, lower profile implants is much easier and quicker than getting breast augmentatio

+2

Usually, recovering from implant exchange for smaller, lower profile implants is much easier and quicker than getting breast augmentation for the first time.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Differences Between Breast Aug & Revision Surgery Post-op instructions

+1

Los Angeles, C.A. I treat both types of surgery the same post operatively for at least the first four weeks. Even though there is usually far less pain with a revision, I don't want patients to get too active as this may provoke bleeding. A complication free post operative course is desired by all.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Post-op Instructions for Breast Revision Surgery

+1

Post-Operative Healing following Breast revision varies from patient to patient and recovery recommendations also vary among different plastic surgeons - Best advice is to ask your surgeon his recommendations. In general however the instructions are very similar to your original breast augmentation surgery (just that the recovery is usually easier)
Below is what is typical for my practice.
Revision surgery is much less painful than your original surgery.
This is an outpatient surgery and you will probably go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines.
In my practice - Sutures are dissolvable but the ending knot is removed within 1-2 weeks.
Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days and return to work for light duty 1-2 weeks following surgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Post-Op Status Of Breast Augmentation vs Revision

+1

Dear Amy,

A revision is less painful usually and it should take less time for full recovery to be established; but every patient is different.

When a patient wants to go smaller in implants' size, several sutures will be used resizing the internal pocket filled by the old (bigger) implants.

Any risky activity could cause the sutures to tear through the tissue and the new implants could get displaced within the internal pocket.

I encourage you to follow your surgeon's advice after your revision surgery. He/she will be able to tell you exactly what you to do and not to do.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Differences in recovery between original and revision surgery

+1

The revision generally entails a less painful recovery than the original surgeon; however, the surgeon may also be more cautious about your activity level immediately after the revision. Each surgeon is slightly different so carefully listen and follow the surgeon's postoperative instructions.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS