Does the Possibility of Having a Root Canal Decreases After Getting a Crown?

I had fillings in my both lateral incisors one month ago. My dentist then put a crown over it without doing a root canal as it was not necessary. But he said that maybe I will need to have a root canal treatment in future as the filling is aporximately touching the pulp. So I just want to ask that does after getting a crown the possibility of getting a root canal deacreases...?? Or it is sure that I will need to have it? What will be the time span?

Root canal, crowns

+2

It sounds like your dentist's advice was accurate.  It is not necessary to do a root canal every time you do a crown.  Some teeth will do fine after a crown and may never need a root canal.  When we realize that the decay is "dangerously close" to the pulp, we will advise a patient of this status.  A tooth with decay is a sick tooth - anytime you mess with a sick tooth, there is a risk that the tooth will have trouble settling down.  Ideally, the restoration will feel fine once the anesthetic wears off.  Like a bruise, however, it could take a short period of time for it to completely resolve and feel all better.  When a tooth persists with symptoms after a filling or crown, then an xray would help determine if further treatment is necessary.  And, by the way, if there is question as to whether the pulp will react, it may be an option to "temporarily" cement the crown for a week or so to see how the tooth does.  That way if a root canal is going to be indicated, the crown is easily removed to allow access to the canal rather than going through a permanently seated crown.

Mandeville Cosmetic Dentist

Does having a crown increase or decrease the need of having a root canal?

+2

Any time a tooth is treated their is an increase in the likely hood of needing a root canal. Nerves in the teeth can be damaged with any type of trauma creating the need for a root canal good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Do root canal or not to do it?

+2

If the cavity is deep and it is touching the pulp, I will not make a crown right away after placing filling. I will wait 6-8 weeks to evaluate the tooth. If the tooth is not sensitive and it is vital, I will make a crown. If the tooth is sensitive or if the pulp is not vital, I will do root canal first then make acrown.

Ali Makhmalbaf, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Old fillings; to root canal or not

+2

Chances are the reason you need a crown is because the previous filling went bad, decay grew beneath it or it cracked.  If you use a crown you will protect the tooth.  However, the years of bacteria being inside your tooth will be hard to ignore.  I recommend my patients they get a root canal to protect the crown they are getting and avoiding having to pay for a second one.

It has been my experience that a large percent of the teeth that get crowned end up needing a root canal with in 5 years of placing the NEW crown.  When you need that root canal the dentist will have to make a whole through the crown.  Sometimes, the crown survives, but many times it breaks.  NOW, the patient has to pay for 100% of the new crown.  Dental insurance will replace crowns after 5-10 years, depending on the company.

SO, I treatment plan all crowns that have a broken or failed filling to get root canals to avoid paying for two crowns.

Hope this helps,

David SIlber, DMD

Dallas, TX

David Silber, DMD
Dallas Cosmetic Dentist